CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern wrapped up home play on Tuesday with a straight set defeat to Winthrop, 25-20, 25-19, 25-18.
CSU (8-19, 3-10) was led by a trio of players with six kills each including Kalysia Bates, Kylie Klein and Logan Windsor. Madison Martin led the Bucs defensively with 15 digs. Winthrop (15-12, 6-7) was paced by Phoebe Wu with 16 kills and Puaoolelagi Sao with 16 digs.
The Eagles got out to an early 8-5 lead after a Marion Vaucher kill. CSU trimmed the lead to 13-12 following a Hannah Western kill. The lead for Winthrop then extended to 19-14 after another Vaucher kill. The Bucs cut the margin to 23-20 following a ball handing error by the Eagles, but two straight points for Winthrop secured the first set.
A Siana Yamaguchi kill put Winthrop in front 8-2 in the second set. CSU then scored six of the next eight points to cut the lead to 10-8. The score was tied 13-13 after an attack error by the Eagles. Winthrop won three straight points to take a 16-13 lead on a Hanna Spevak service ace. The Eagles led 20-16 before the Bucs trimmed the margin to 22-19 on a bad set from Yamauchi. Winthrop then won the next three points to close the set and take a 2-0 set lead.
The Eagles led 12-8 in the third set following a Wu kill. A Kalysia Bates kill for CSU tied the set 14-14. Winthrop then won five points in a row to lead 19-14 after a Sydney Gunter kill. Windsor had a kill to cut the margin to 20-17, but the Eagles won five of the next six points to secure the set and win the match.
Inside the Numbers
· Madison Martin moved into fourth place all-time at CSU with 1,411 career digs.
· Rachel Smith had 23 assists and six digs for the Bucs. Smith is eighth all-time at CSU with 1,749 career assists.
· Kalysia Bates led CSU with five blocks. Bates ranks first in the Big South with 1.08 blocks per set.
· Logan Windsor had six kills for CSU. Windsor hadn't recorded a kill since having six in a match at Elon on Sep. 8.
News and Notes
· Charleston Southern has now lost six straight matches, four of which were in straight sets.
· The loss eliminated the Bucs from contention in the Big South Championship.
· CSU has three road matches remaining in the regular season.
Charleston Southern returns to action when it travels to face High Point on Friday, Nov. 3. The Bucs then play at Radford at Saturday, Nov. 4.