Friday, October 27
Charleston Southern vs. UNC Asheville
Buccaneer Field House – Charleston, S.C.
CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern returns to action when it hosts UNC Asheville for Senior Night on Friday. CSU will be honoring seniors Kylie Klein and Siraya Windsor at the Buc Dome prior to the match. First serve between the Bucs and Bulldogs is set for 7 p.m.
CSU (8-17, 3-8) is fresh off a straight set defeat at Winthrop on Tuesday night and previously fell in four sets to Liberty this past Saturday. UNC Asheville (9-13, 5-6) is coming off a straight set loss to Radford on Saturday and fell to High Point in straight sets this past Friday.
The Bucs trail UNC Asheville and Winthrop by two matches for sixth place in the Big South standings. Only the top six teams qualify for the Big South Championship on Nov. 17-19 at Radford. CSU has five matches remaining in the regular season.
Hannah Western leads Charleston Southern with 2.38 kills per set, while Kylie Klein is averaging 2.20 kills per set. Klein is currently eighth in the Big South in hitting percentage (.290). Madison Martin leads the Bucs defensively with 4.63 digs per set. Kalysia Bates, who has twice been named Big South Freshman of the Week, ranks first in the league in blocks per set (1.07).
UNC Asheville's Cara Guthrie leads the Bulldogs' offense and is third in the Big South in kills per set (3.75). Madisen Zyburt paces the team defensively with 2.75 digs per set and Guthrie adds 2.68 digs per set for UNC Asheville. Cecilia Stack is averaging 0.64 blocks per set for the Bulldogs.
Inside the Numbers
· Rachel Smith is fourth in the Big South with 8.93 assists per set. Smith is eighth all-time at CSU with 1,691 career assists.
· Kylie Klein ranks fifth all-time at CSU with 396 career blocks. She is only six blocks away from moving into fourth all-time at Charleston Southern.
· Madison Martin has recorded 440 total digs this season and is fifth all-time at CSU with 1,374 career digs.
· Macey LaPorte is ninth in the Big South in service aces per set (0.32).
News and Notes
· CSU faces UNC Asheville for the second time this season. The Bucs previously fell to the Bulldogs on Oct. 7 in straight sets, 25-16, 25-15, 25-13.
· The Bucs look for their first win at home since a five set win over Presbyterian on Sep. 30.
· Charleston Southern will host the CSU Alumni match on Saturday, Oct. 29 at 2:15 p.m.
· CSU hosts Winthrop on Tuesday, Oct. 31 in the home finale.