LYNCHBURG, Va. – Charleston Southern fell in straight sets to Liberty on Saturday in a Big South match at the Vines Center, 25-19, 25-17, 25-23.
Liberty opened with an early 8-2 lead after a service ace by Jenna Culhan. The lead for the Flames grew to 14-6 following a defensive error by the Bucs. Addison Kaderli had a kill for CSU to trim the margin to 20-14. Liberty then scored four straight points to take a 24-14 lead. The Bucs scored five in a row to narrow the difference, but a kill by Gabrielle Vess closed the first set for the Flames.
CSU took an 8-4 lead in the second set after a kill by Hannah Western. The Bucs led 13-7 following a kill by Monssen. A defensive error by Liberty tied the match 16-16. The Flames then won nine of the next ten points to take the second set and lead the match 2-0.
Charleston Southern had an 11-8 lead in the third set after a kill by Kaderli. The Bucs led 13-12 when Liberty scored six straight points to take an 18-13 lead on an attack error by CSU. A kill by Kylie Klein cut the margin to 24-23, but Casey Goodwin had a kill for the Flames to close the set and the match.
Inside the Numbers
- Rachel Smith led CSU with 29 assists.
- Kalysia Bates led the Bucs with six blocks.
- Hannah Western had seven kills and seven digs for Charleston Southern.
News and Notes
- Liberty has defeated CSU in 17 of the last 18 meetings.
- Charleston Southern has lost three of its last four Big South matches this season.
- The Bucs are currently in seventh place in the Big South standings.
CSU returns to action when it hosts Radford on Friday, Oct. 20 in the Breast Cancer Awareness match. The Bucs then host Liberty on Saturday, Oct. 21 at the Buc Dome.