CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern picked up its first Big South win of the season by defeating Gardner-Webb in straight sets on Friday night at the Buc Dome, 25-21, 26-24, 25-19.
CSU improves to 6-11, 1-2 on the season following the win, while the Runnin' Bulldogs fall to 7-9, 1-3 with the loss. Brooke Monssen led the Bucs offensively with 11 kills, while Addison Kaderli and Kalysia Bates had 8 kills each for CSU. Madison Martin led the defensive efforts with 10 digs.
Charleston Southern jumped out to an early 11-6 lead in the first set on a kill by Bates. Gardner-Webb then scored four of the next five points to cut the lead to 12-10 following back-to-back kills by Nicole Celarek. The Bucs then took a 22-15 lead on an attack error by Celarek. The Runnin' Bulldogs won six of the next eight points to trim the lead to 24-21, but a kill by Caitlyn Michalski gave CSU the first set.
Gardner-Webb took an early lead in the second set and led 7-2 following a kill by Celarek. The Runnin' Bulldogs led 10-5 after an attack error by Kaderli. A tight rest of the set had GWU leading 19-17 after a kill by Tyra Long. The Bucs then won four straight points to take a 21-19 lead on an attack error by Long. The Runnin' Bulldogs won five of the next seven points to hold a 24-23 lead, but CSU won the final three points and Kaderli had back-to-back kills to close the set and give the Bucs a 2-0 lead.
CSU led 10-7 in the third set before Gardner-Webb won five straight points to take a 12-10 lead on an attack error by Bates. GWU led 16-14 after a kill by Keira Moore, but the Bucs took a 19-18 lead following a kill by Kaderli. The Runnin' Bulldogs trimmed the lead to 21-19, but CSU won the next four points and a kill by Kylie Klein gave the Bucs the win.
Inside the Numbers
· Rachel Smith led CSU with 32 assists.
· Brooke Monssen had 11 kills for the Bucs, which is her second most in a match this season.
· Madison Martin had double-digit digs for the eighth straight match.
News and Notes
· CSU won its first Big South match of the season.
· The Bucs won their first match in straight sets since defeating Alabama A&M 3-0 on Sept. 15.
· Charleston Southern faces Presbyterian on Saturday for the second time in eleven days as the Blue Hose defeated the Bucs 3-1 on Sept. 19 in Clinton, S.C.
CSU hosts Presbyterian in a Big South match on Saturday, Sept. 30 at the Buc Dome at 3 p.m.