Saturday, September 23
Charleston Southern vs. High Point
Buccaneer Field House – Charleston, S.C.
Charleston Southern hosts Big South opponent High Point on Saturday at the Buccaneer Field House. First serve between the Bucs and the Panthers in set for 2 p.m.
CSU (5-10, 0-1) is coming off a 3-1 loss at Presbyterian on Tuesday night in the Big South opener. The Bucs previously defeated The Citadel 3-2 on Sept. 16 at the Bulldog Invitational and fell to Jacksonville St. 3-2 earlier that day. CSU knocked off Alabama A&M in straight sets on Sept. 15 to open tournament play.
The Bucs were led by All-Tournament team selection Kylie Klein, who recorded 27 kills (2.07 per set), 13 digs (1 per set) and 45 points (3.46 per set). Following a successful tournament, junior libero Madison Martin was named Big South Volleyball Defensive Player of the Week, while freshman middle blocker Kalysia Bates was named Freshman of the Week.
Martin continues to lead CSU defensively with 4.73 digs per set and Bates is sixth in the Big South in blocks per set (0.93). Klein is sixth in the league in hitting % (.308), while Rachel Smith is second in the Big South in assists per set (9.29).
High Point (8-6, 1-0) is coming off a 3-1 win at Liberty on Tuesday night and is riding a three match winning streak after defeating Navy 3-1 and Elon 3-1 at their home tournament in High Point, N.C. on Sept. 16. The last loss for the Panthers was in the tournament opener against UNC Greensboro 3-2 on Sept. 15.
Molly Livingston leads High Point offensively with 2.96 kills per set, while Haley Barnes has 2.89 kills per set. Abby Bottomley is first in the Big South with 5.35 digs per set. Livingston is second in the league in hitting % (.352) and blocks per set (1.11).
Inside the Numbers
· Charleston Southern leads the Big South in digs per set (16.83).
· High Point is first in the Big South in kills per set (13.11) and assists per set (12.36).
· Madison Martin is third in the Big South in digs per set (4.73).
News and Notes
· This is the first Big South home match for CSU this season.
· The Bucs are still seeking their first Big South win of the season.
· The volleyball match is part of a double-header with CSU football, which has its home opener on Saturday at 6 p.m. against Point University (Ga.).
CSU returns to action when it hosts Gardner-Webb on Sept. 29 and Presbyterian on Sept. 30 in Big South play at the Buc Dome.