CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern continues its Big South road trip this weekend as the Buccaneers travel to both High Point and Campbell. The Bucs open on Friday night in the Millis Center at High Point with first serve set for 7 p.m. CSU closes out the road trip on Saturday afternoon in Gore Arena with first serve set for 2 p.m.
Both matches will be streamed live on the Big South Network. Links to live stats for both matches can be found on CSUSports.com. In-game updates will be provided on Twitter: @CSUGameDay.
Scouting High Point
High Point enters the weekend coming off of back-to-back Big South Conference road wins against Presbyterian and Charleston Southern. The Panthers and Bucs faced off in HPU's last match on Saturday with the Panthers recording the 3-1 win in the Buccaneer Field House. Haley Barnes leads HPU's attacking efforts with 3.41 kills per set. Jordan Hefner is HPU's leader with a .302 hitting percentage. Carly Jimenez (5.64) and Jenna Smith (5.48) set up the Panthers' offense on the season. Defensively, Amy Pilat is the digs leader with 3.99 per set. Hefner is the Panthers' blocking leader at 0.94 per set.
Campbell hosts Winthrop to open the weekend before hosting Charleston Southern on Saturday afternoon. The Cames have posted wins in four of their past five matches with wins over Presbyterian (twice), Gardner-Webb and High Point. The Camels are led by Loni Kreun's 2.75 kills per set, while Jenny Tait is the hitting leader with a .359 hitting percentage. Summer Schuitema is the assist leader with 6.08 per set. Defensively, Kayla Schanback is the digs leader with 4.44 per set. Tait is the blocking leader at 0.92 per set.
Buccaneers drop four-set decision to High Point on Homecoming weekend
Charleston Southern was unable to build off the momentum in the third set in falling in Big South Conference play to visiting High Point, 26-24, 25-15, 18-25, 25-22. The Buccaneers fell for just the second time in conference play on the season and struggled to get the offense going in both the second and fourth sets in falling to the Panthers. CSU hit .159 as a team overall and was led by double-digit kill performances by both Addison Kaderli and Kylie Klein.
Buccaneers win five-set thriller at home over Campbell
Connor Malone and Kylie Klein sparked Charleston Southern in the deciding fifth set as the Buccaneers bounced back after dropping the third and fourth sets to top Campbell in the Buccaneer Field House. Malone saved her best for the fifth set with the redshirt senior right side hitter connecting on four kills, including the final two points for the Bucs, in leading CSU to the 15-13 set win. Klein gave the Bucs the lead with a stretch that included a kill and back-to-back service aces to turn a 5-4 deficit into a 7-5 advantage. CSUnever trailed the remainder of the set in closing out the win.
Bucs against High Point/Campbell under Mooberry
CSU is 0-7 against High Point under Head Coach Christy Mooberry dating back to the 2013 season. The Bucs are 1-6 against Campbell with CSU picking up its first win against the Camels in the Mooberry era this season. The Bucs topped the Camels in five sets in the Buccaneer Field House on October 1 behind a strong performance by right side hitter Connor Malone.
Chasing the NCAA Leaders
As a team, CSU sits among the national leaders in four separate categories on the 2016 season. The Bucs are second overall in team digs with 1,729, sixth overall in team total attacks with 3,708, 11th overall in digs per set with 17.29 and 13th overall in team service aces with 148. The Bucs are also 25th overall in team total blocks with 223.0.
Among the NCAA Individual Leaders
- Madison Martin is 5th in the NCAA in total digs with 485
- Addison Kaderli is 13th in the NCAA in total attacks with 1,032
- Madison Martin is 24th in the NCAA in service aces with 35
- Madison Martin is 46th in the NCAA in digs per set with 4.85
Among the Big South Individual Leaders
- Kylie Klein is ninth in the Big South in hitting percentage with .259
- Addison Kaderli is fifth in the Big South in kills per set with 2.92
- Brooke Monssen is ninth in the Big South in kills per set with 2.60
- Rachel Smith is fourth in the Big South in assists per set with 7.84
- Madison Martin is seventh in the Big South in service aces per set with 0.35
- Kylie Klein is fourth in the Big South in blocks per set with 1.03
- Caitlyn Michalski is sixth in the Big South in blocks per set with 1.01
- Madison Martin is second in the Big South in digs per set with 4.85
Among the Big South Team Leaders
- Charleston Southern leads the Big South in digs per set with 17.29
- Charleston Southern is second in the Big South in blocks per set with 2.23