CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern opens Big South Conference play on Tuesday night as the Buccaneers travel to the Templeton Center and Clinton, S.C. to take on Presbyterian. First serve between the Bucs and the Blue Hose is set for 7 p.m. on the Big South Network. Live Stats will be provided at GoBlueHose.com, while live updates will be provided on Twitter: @CSUGameDay
Presbyterian enters the Big South opening match with a 2-11 overall record on the season. The Blue Hose picked up back-to-back wins against S.C. State and Mississippi Valley State to open the season, but enter Tuesday night on an 11-match losing streak. Sierra Davis leads the Blue Hose offense with 2.95 kills per set, while Samantha Del Toro is averaging 2.64 kills per set on the season. Del Toro is the team leader with a .270 hitting percentage. Sara Rogers sets up the team offense with 8.93 assists per set. Mikayla Register is the Blue Hose digs leader with 4.18 per set, while Ashton Stewart is the blocks leader with 0.55 per set.
Last Season against Presbyterian
Charleston Southern and Presbyterian split the 2015 series. Presbyterian won the contest in the Templeton Center, 3-1, on September 25 in the Big South opener for both teams. Addison Kaderli had a match-high 12 kills, while Katrina Houston narrowly missed out on the double-double with 10 kills and nine digs. Kylie Klein had a match-high six blocks, while Ashley Higginbothem led the Bucs' backline with 12 digs in the contest.
CSU won the rematch in the Buc Dome on October 30, 3-0. The Bucs hit .402 as a team in the match, their third highest percentage since the 2010 season, paced by Connor Malone's .579 rate from the floor. Malone led the Bucs with 11 kills while Kaderli added 11 kills and 16 digs. Meredith Parrott added 10 kills and a .471 hitting percentage in CSU's win.
Bucs against Presbyterian under Mooberry
CSU is 1-5 against Presbyterian under Head Coach Christy Moobery. The Bucs picked up their first win against the Blue Hose last season in the the Buc Dome as CSU swept PC, 3-0, on October 30.
Bucs and Blue Hose against Common Opponents
Charleston Southern and Presbyterian have faced off against two common opponents in the 2016 season. The Bucs and the Blue Hose both faced off against S.C. State and Georgia Southern during the pre-conference schedule. CSU topped S.C. State in Orangeburg, S.C. on August 30, 3-0. The Bucs fell to Georgia Southern at the Bash in the Boro, 3-1. Presbyterian topped S.C. State in straight sets, but fell 3-1 to Georgia Southern at the Crimson-White Tournament this past weekend hosted by Alabama.
Recapping the Tournament Slate
Charleston Southern went 3-11 overall during the pre-tournament schedule. The Buccaneers picked up wins against Savannah State at both the Bash in the Boro and the Bulldog Invitational. CSU topped Jacksonville State in five sets at the Bash in the Boro. Sophomore libero Madison Martin earned All-Tournament honors at the Bash in the Boro, the CofC Classic and the Bulldog Invitational.
Among the NCAA Leaders
- Kylie Klein is 5th in the NCAA in total blocks with 72
- Madison Martin is 7th in the NCAA in total digs with 281
- Addison Kaderli is 23rd in the NCAA in total attacks with 569
- Caitlyn Michalski is 35th in the NCAA in total blocks with 60
- Kylie Klein is 53rd in the NCAA in blocks per set at 1.26
- Madison Martin is 57th in the NCAA in service aces with 19
- Madison Martin is 65th in the NCAA in digs per set with 4.61
Among the Big South Leaders
- Kylie Klein is 10th in the Big South in hitting percentage with .261
- Brooke Monssen is 7th in the Big South in kills per set with 2.72
- Rachel Smith is 4th in the Big South in assists per set with 6.87
- Kylie Klein leads the Big South in blocks per set with 1.26
- Caitlyn Michalski is 7th in the Big South in blocks per set with 1.02
- Madison Martin is 2nd in the Big South in digs per set with 4.61
- Taylor Allman is 8th in the Big South in digs per set with 3.24
- Brooke Monssen is 6th in the Big South in points per set with 3.28