CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern's women's track and field team makes the trek to Lynchburg, Va. and Liberty University for the 2019 Big South Conference Indoor Track & Field Championships presented by Musco Sports Lighting and USC. The two-day event begins on February 15-16 held on at the Liberty Indoor Track Complex.
The indoor championships feature seven teams on the men's side with Campbell, Charleston Southern, Gardner-Webb, Hampton, High Point, Radford, UNC Asheville, USC Upstate, and Winthrop all competing this weekend.
- Women's 60m dash – Lauryn James (7.59, 3rd), Rhone' Allen (7.65, 6th), Chaneal Harris (7.91, 10th)
- Women's 200m dash – Lauryn James (25.02, 4th), Rhone' Allen (25.18, 5th), Shantel Ardley (25.67, 10th)
- Women's 400m race – Eden Senior (57.68, 2nd), Caroline Edmondson (58.78, 9th)
- Women's 800m race – Caroline Edmondson (2:20.83, 5th), Javenique McDowell (2:20.96, 6th), Rebecca Cadet (2:25.07, 9th)
- Women's Mile run – Caroline Inman (5:17.33, 10th)
- Women's 3000m race – Caroline Inman (10:25.70, 7th), Makennah Mills (10:39.73, 8th)
- Women's 5000m race – Caroline Inman (18:53.28, 6th), Zanelle Willemse (19:20.57, 7th), Bethany Thornhill (19:21.55, 8th)
- Women's 60m hurdles – Caroline Edmondson (8.79, 4th), Chaneal Harris (8.89, 5th)
- Women's 4x400m relay – Charleston Southern (3:53.74, 2nd)
- Women's Triple Jump – Victoria Gibson (11.33m, 2nd)
- Women's Shot Put – Milan Williams (12.22m, 9th)
- Women's Weight Throw – Milan Williams (18.36m, 1st)
As evidenced above, the Buccaneers bring a deep roster to the championships in their third season under the tutelage of Director of Track & Field/Cross Country Jim Stintzi.
The Bucs were picked fourth overall in the conference's preseason poll as voted on by the conference's head coaches. CSU was picked to finish behind High Point, Campbell and Hampton among the top four in the rankings.
CSU returns to a familiar venue for the Buccaneers. Charleston Southern was at the Liberty Elite Invitational on February 2nd for the one-day event.
The Flames added the state-of-the-art indoor track facility to its list of numerous new athletics complexes in recent years when the Liberty Indoor Track Complex opened in January 2017. The track itself is the facility's most dynamic feature and one of only a handful of indoor tracks in the U.S. to offer a six-lane, 200-meter, hydraulically banked oval.
The two-day event is set to start on Friday, February 15, with the Pentathlon beginning with the 60m hurdles at 10 a.m. The field events from the first day start with the long jump at 1 p.m., while the track events start with the mile run at 2 p.m.