CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Bucs took all three doubles and five of the six singles matches in a 6-1 win over Gardner-Webb on Saturday at the Buccaneer Tennis Complex.
The Buccaneers (5-5) won three doubles including two in the tiebreaker. Gardner-Webb (2-4) won five games on courts two and three, but Filippa Ericson/Kimberley Koerner and Michelle Schmitz/Liz Williams won the matches 7-5. Tiffany Pyritz and Madalina Man won their doubles match 6-3 to complete the sweep for CSU.
In singles play, Liz Williams wrapped up a 7-5, 6-2 win to claim the first singles match for the Bucs. Tiffany Pyritz and Filippa Ericson followed with straight-set wins of their own 6-4, 6-3 and 6-4, 6-4 respectively to clinch a match victory for CSU.
The Runnin' Bulldogs won their only point of the day with a singles win from Valentine Limauge over Michelle Schmitz, but CSU's Madalina Man and Kimberley Koerner won the last two matches in three sets to finish off the 6-1 win for the Bucs. Man and Koerner each won the first set before dropping their second sets. Koerner had to play an extra game, but won the match 6-4, 3-6, 7-5 while Man finished off her match 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
Charleston So. 6, Gardner-Webb 1
1. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. RISTIC, Miljana (GWU-W) 6-4, 6-4
2. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) def. NAUPARI, Daniela (GWU-W) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. LIMAUGE, Valentine (GWU-W) def. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) 7-6, 6-3
4. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. SAGUCHI, Mayumi (GWU-W) 6-4, 3-6, 7-5
5. PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) def. DESOL, Manon (GWU-W) 6-4, 6-3
6. WILLIAMS, Liz (CSU-W) def. VESELY, Adrienne (GWU-W) 7-5, 6-2
1. PYRITZ, Tiffany/MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) def. RISTIC, Miljana/NAUPARI, Daniela (GWU-W) 6-3
2. ERICSON, Filippa/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. LIMAUGE, Valentine/DESOL, Manon (GWU-W) 7-5
3. SCHMITZ, Michelle/WILLIAMS, Liz (CSU-W) def. VESELY, Adrienne/SAGUCHI, Mayumi (GWU-W) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,1,5,3,4,2)
"The girls did a great job today digging deep and finding that extra level of fight," said Head Coach Anca Dumitrescu. "We were down several times throughout doubles and singles today and it was nice to see us find a way to come back. This game is so much about your attitude and staying positive and committed to the game plan. We need to continue to show that positiveness and commitment each time we step out on the court."
News & Notes
- Filippa Ericson now leads the team with six singles wins.
- Filippa Ericson and Kimberley Koerner also picked up their team-leading seventh doubles win on the year and have won five in a row
- Tiffany Pyritz is now 4-0 in Big South Conference singles play.
The Buccaneers will travel to UNC Asheville on Wednesday afternoon for a 1 p.m. match. They'll return home the following week for back-to-back home matches on March 19 and 20.