CHARLOTTE, N.C. - Filippa Ericson picked up her second singles win of the 2019 season to highlight Charleston Southern's efforts on Friday afternoon. The Buccaneers fell to host Charlotte at the Halton-Wagner Tennis Complex, 6-1.
Ericson topped Tai Martin to move to 2-2 in singles play this season as the CSU (0-4) senior picked up the Bucs' lone win on singles court no. 1. Charlotte (5-3) took all three doubles courts and five of the six singles wins to record the match victory.
The 49ers took the opening point of the match by taking all three doubles matches. Charlotte's Immie Cowper and Martin topped CSU's Madalina Man and Liz Williams on court no. 1, 7-6 (7-3). Kimberley Koerner and Ericson fell to Rocio Safont and Emma Scott on court no. 2, 6-4. Yana Morar and Tiffany Pyritz fell, 6-2, to Charlotte's Pierina Imparato and Sasha Lee on court no. 3.
Ericson put the Bucs back in the match in singles play. The Stockholm, Sweden native topped Martin, 6-3, 7-5, on court no. 1 for CSU's lone point of the day.
Safont topped Man on singles court no. 2, 6-1, 7-5, while Koerner fell to Lee, 6-4, 6-2, on court no. 3. Michelle Schmitz fell, 6-0, 6-1, to Imparato on court no. 4.
CSU's Williams and Yana Morar battled their opponents into the third sets on both courts 5 and 6.
Williams fell to Scott on court no. 5 in a tightly contested match as the duo went into the tiebreaker. Williams rallied back after dropping the first set, 7-6 (10-8), but winning the second frame, 6-3. In the tiebreaker, the Charlotte athlete took the match with the 10-8 victory.
Morar battled to the last point as the senior played the full third set against Zoe Radojicic. Morar took the opening set, 6-2, to go up early. Radojicic battled back with a 6-2 win in the second set to send the match into the full third set. The third set went the distance with Radojicic pulling ahead late in the 7-6 (7-3) win.
Charlotte 6, Charleston Southern 1
02/15/19 at Charlotte, N.C. (Halton-Wagner Tennis Complex)
1. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) def. Tai Martin (CHA) 6-3, 7-5
2. Rocio Safont (CHA) def. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 6-1, 7-5
3. Sasha Lee (CHA) def. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-4, 6-2
4. Pierina Imparato (CHA) def. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) 6-0, 6-1
5. Emma Scott (CHA) def. WILLIAMS, Liz (CSU-W) 7-6 (10-8), 3-6, 10-8
6. Zoe Radojicic (CHA) def. MORAR, Yana (CSU-W) 2-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
1. Immie Cowper/Tai Martin (CHA) def. MAN, Madalina/WILLIAMS, Liz (CSU-W) 7-6 (7-3)
2. Rocio Safont/Emma Scott (CHA) def. ERICSON, Filippa/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-4
3. Pierina Imparato/Sasha Lee (CHA) def. MORAR, Yana/PYRITZ, Tiffany (CSU-W) 6-2
Charleston Southern 0-4
News and Notes
- Ericson recorded her 10th career singles win at CSU on Friday as the senior improved to 2-2 on the year.
- Friday's match marked Yana Morar's debut in the singles lineup this season.
- The doubles duos of Morar/Pyritz and Man/Williams were also first-time lineups for the Bucs this season.
Charleston Southern opens Big South Conference play on Saturday afternoon as the Buccaneers take on USC Upstate in Spartanburg, S.C. First serve between the Bucs and the Spartans is set for 1 p.m. at the USC Upstate Tennis Complex.