ELON, N.C. - Charleston Southern fell on the road to Elon on Sunday afternoon at the Jimmy Powell Tennis Center as the Phoenix took the deciding point in the third set on court no. 4 to secure the 4-3 win over the Buccaneers.
CSU's two-match winning streak came to an end on Sunday afternoon as the Bucs (10-6) won the doubles point, but were topped in four of the six singles courts in the non-conference loss to the Phoenix. The Bucs took singles points on courts 1 and 5, while Elon (13-11) won on courts 2, 3, 4, and 6 in the victory.
The Bucs rallied back to take the doubles point from Elon to open the match. CSU's Yana Morar and Kimberley Koerner fell to Kristen Ward and Suzanne Zenoni on court no. 3, 6-2, to open doubles play. Sophie Cloessner and Madalina Man rebounded with a 6-4 win on court no. 1 over Alex Koniaev and Maria Paraja to even the score. Filippa Ericson and Valeria Koussenkova secured the doubles point with a 7-5 win over Olivia Lucas and Erica Braschi on court no. 2 to put the Bucs ahead 1-0.
Zenoni tied the match up at 1-1 with a 6-0, 6-0 win on court no. 3.
Cloessner swung the match back in favor of the Bucs on court no. 1 with a straight set win over Olivia Lucas. The senior won on the top court, 6-1, 6-2, to put CSU back in the lead 2-0.
Braschi evened the match with a 6-4, 6-0 win on court no. 2 over Koussenkova, and Ward topped Michelle Schmitz on court no. 6, 6-1, 6-4 to swing the advantage to Elon, 3-2.
Paraja secured the match win for the Phoenix on court no. 4 following a tough three-set win over Man. Man rallied back after dropping the first set, 7-5, with a 6-3 win to send the match into the deciding third set. However, Paraja took the final frame 6-0 to put Elon up 4-2.
Koerner took the final match on court no. 5 for the Bucs' third set. She topped Koniaev, 6-2, in the first set, before falling in the second frame 7-5. She rallied back to take the 6-3 win in the third set.
Elon 4, Charleston Southern 3
4/8/2018 at Elon, N.C. (Jimmy Powell Tennis Center)
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie (CSU-W) def. Olivia Lucas (ELON) 6-1, 6-2
2. Erica Braschi (ELON) def. KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU-W) 6-4, 6-0
3. Suzanne Zenoni (ELON) def. ERICSON, Filippa (CSU-W) 6-0, 6-0
4. Maria Paraja (ELON) def. MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) 7-5, 3-6, 6-0
5. KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) def. Alex Koniaev (ELON) 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
6. Kirsten Ward (ELON) def. SCHMITZ, Michelle (CSU-W) 6-1, 6-4
1. CLOESSNER, Sophie/MAN, Madalina (CSU-W) def. Alex Koniaev/Maria Paraja (ELON) 6-4
2. ERICSON, Filippa/KOUSSENKOVA, Valeria (CSU-W) def. Olivia Lucas/Erica Braschi (ELON) 7-5
3. Kirsten Ward/Suzanne Zenoni (ELON) def. MORAR, Yana/KOERNER, Kimberley (CSU-W) 6-2
Charleston Southern 10-6
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (3,1,2,6,4,5)
News & Notes
- Sophie Cloessner hit double-digit wins in singles play for the fourth consecutive season following her straight set win on court no. 1. The senior boasts a 10-4 record in 2018.
- The doubles tandems of Cloessner/Man and Koussenkova/Ericson both boast double-digit wins on the season. Cloessner/Man have an 11-5 record on court no. 1, while Koussenkova/Ericson have a 10-5 record on court no. 2.
Charleston Southern closes out the Big South regular season tomorrow afternoon in Rock Hill, S.C. as the Bucs take on Winthrop. First serve is set for 1 p.m.