DELAND, Fla. - Charleston Southern ran its winning streak to four in a row on Saturday afternoon as the Buccaneers topped host Stetson at the Mandy Stoll Tennis Center, 5-2.
The Bucs (4-1) took the doubles point from the Hatters and added singles wins on courts 2, 4, 5, and 6, to take the non-conference victory. Stetson dropped to 0-4 following the loss to CSU.
Kimberley Koerner and Femcke van Rensburg opened doubles play in the match with a 6-3 win on court no. 3 over Stetson's Alexe Viaud and Danielle Peele. SU's Sofia Ferding and Lucie Renault followed with a 6-3 win on court no. 2 over CSU's Yana Morar and Valeria Koussenkova to even doubles play at 1-1.
NIcolin Luecke and Sophie Cloessner fought through a tiebreaker on court no. 1 to give CSU the doubles point and the 1-0 lead. The Bucs' duo topped Arijana Korac and Maja Salibasic 7-6 (7-5) to take the match.
Morar opened singles play and gave CSU the 2-0 lead with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Peele on court no. 6. Cloessner followed shortly after with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Salibasic on court no. 2 to give the Bucs the 3-0 advantage. Koerner secured the Bucs' win on court no. 5 with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Viaud.
Korac put Stetson on the board with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Luecke on court no. 1.
Mi'Kola Cooper put CSU's fifth and final point on the board with a three-set 6-3, 4-6, 6-2 win on court no. 4.
Renault topped Koussenkova in a third-set tiebreaker 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-3) to take the final point of the match.
Charlesotn Southern returns home as the Buccaneers prepare for their Big South opener next weekend at the Buccaneer Tennis Complex as CSU hosts Campbell on Saturday afternoon. First serve is set for 1 p.m.
Charleston Southern 5, Stetson 2
Feb 18, 2017 at DeLand, Fla. (Mandy Stoll Tennis Center)
1. Arijana Korac (STET) def. Nicolin Luecke (CSU) 6-3, 6-4
2. Sophie Cloessner (CSU) def. Maja Salibasic (STET) 6-1, 6-2
3. Lucie Renault (STET) def. Valeria Koussenkova (CSU) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0 (10-3)
4. Mi'Kola Cooper (CSU) def. Sofia Ferding (STET) 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
5. Kimberley Koerner (CSU) def. Alexe Viaud (STET) 6-3, 7-5
6. Yana Morar (CSU) def. Danielle Peele (STET) 6-2, 6-1
1. Nicolin Luecke/Sophie Cloessner (CSU) def. Arijana Korac/Maja Salibasic (STET) 7-6 (7-5)
2. Sofia Ferding/Lucie Renault (STET) def. Yana Morar/Valeria Koussenkova (CSU) 6-3
3. Kimberley Koerner/Femcke van Rensburg (CSU) def. Alexe Viaud/Danielle Peele (STET) 6-3
Charleston Southern 3-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,2,5,1,4,3)