WILMINGTON, N.C. - Charleston Southern closed out the 2015 regular season on the road with a 6-1 win over host UNC Wilmington as the Buccaneers continue to build momentum heading into next week's Big South Women's Tennis Championships.
The Bucs swept doubles play for the sixth straight match on their way to taking their 15th win of the season as CSU improves to 15-2 overall on the year in dual match play. CSU also took five of the six singles matches as the Bucs have dropped only two team points over the last five matches.
On the day CSU was announced as the Big South regular season champion and top overall seed in the 2015 Big South Championships, the Bucs wasted little time jumping ahead of the Seahawks in sweeping all three doubles courts for the first point of the match.
Angelica Sidorenko and Mi'Kola Cooper topped Christine Kharkevitch and Annika Sillanpaa on court no. 1, 8-5, for the first Bucs win. Sophie Cloessner and Marketa Placha assured the doubles point would go to the Bucs with an 8-5 win on court no. 3 over Hollie Champion and Alix Theodossiou. Yvonne Hubler and Nicolin Luecke completed the sweep on court no. 2 with an 8-6 win over Miller Hales and Alyssa Ritchie.
Singles action saw Placha, Hubler, Luecke, Cloessner and Valeria Koussenkova all prove victorious in the CSU win.
Hubler was the first off the courts in putting the Bucs ahead 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-3 win over Sillanpaa on court no. 2. Placha topped Ritchie 6-2, 6-0 on court no. 1, while Cloessner sealed the CSU win with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Hamilton Lovett on court no. 5.
Koussenkova finished up the regular season strong with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Hales on court no. 6, while Luecke topped Theodossiou in the third set tiebreaker, rallying back from a first set loss to take the match 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5).
Sidorenko suffered the lone Buccaneer loss on the day, falling in three sets to Kharkevitch on court no. 3, 6-3, 4-6, 7-5.
The Buccaneers earned a first round bye in the 2015 Big South Championships and will face the winner of No. 8 Gardner-Webb/No. 9 Presbyterian on Thursday morning at the Asheville Racquet Club. First serve in doubles play is set for 9 a.m.
Charleston Southern 6, UNCW 1
Apr 11, 2015 at Wilmington, N.C. (UNCW Courts)
1. Marketa Placha (CSU) def. Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW) 6-2, 6-0
2. Yvonne Hubler (CSU) def. Annika Sillanpaa (UNCW) 6-2, 6-3
3. Christ. Kharkevitch (UNCW) def. Angelica Sidorenko (CSU) 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
4. Nicolin Luecke (CSU) def. Alix Theodossiou (UNCW) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Sophie Cloessner (CSU) def. Hamilton Lovett (UNCW) 6-2, 6-2
6. Valeria Koussenkova (CSU) def. Miller Hales (UNCW) 6-2, 6-4
1. Angelica Sidorenko/Mi'Kola Cooper (CSU) def. Christ. Kharkevitch/Annika Sillanpaa (UNCW) 8-5
2. Yvonne Hubler/Nicolin Luecke (CSU) def. Miller Hales/Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW) 8-6
3. Sophie Cloessner/Marketa Placha (CSU) def. Hollie Champion/Alix Theodossiou (UNCW) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,5,6,4,3)
Official: Donald T-3:17 A-100