MARIETTA, Ga. - Charleston Southern fell for the first time in the 2015 season as the Buccaneers dropped a tight match to No. 74 South Alabama at the Fair Oaks Tennis Center, 4-3.
CSU falls to 3-1 on the season and will take on Emory tomorrow afternoon. First serve in doubles play is set for noon.
CSU led on court no. 2 as Nicolin Luecke and Yvonne Hubler had the 6-5 lead over Mary Angela Martin and Michaela Meszarosova before the match was called due to USA wins on courts 1 and 3. Angelica Sidorenko and Cooper fell to Laura Valkova and Emily Newton on court no. 1, 8-2, while Placha and Sophie Cloessner fell to Paula Sanchez and Monica Mitta on court no. 3, 8-3, to give the Jaguars the first point of the day.
Valeria Koussenkova fell on court no. 6 for CSU, dropping her match against Lauran Matuskova, 6-0, 6-0, while USA's Mitta topped SIdorenko on court no. 3, 7-5, 6-2, to put the Jaguars within one point of clinching the match.
Cooper put the Bucs on the board on court no. 5 with a 6-3, 6-4 win, while Placha rallied back from a first set loss to take the three-set win on court no. 1, 3-6, 6-0, 6-4.
Newton closed out the match for the Jaguars on court no. 4, topping CSU's Luecke 7-6 (7-4), 6-4.
Hubler ended the action on the day taking the final point of the match for the Bucs on court no. 2, topping Meszarosova in three sets, 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4.
#74 South Alabama 4, Charleston Southern 3
Feb 27, 2015 at Marietta, Ga. (Fair Oaks Tennis Center)
1. Placha, Marketa (CHSO) def. Valkova, Laura (USA) 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
2. Hubler, Yvonne (CHSO) def. Meszarosova, M. (USA) 2-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. Mitta, Monica (USA) def. Sidorenko, Angelica (CHSO) 7-5, 6-2
4. Newton, Emily (USA) def. Luecke, Nicolin (CHSO) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
5. Cooper, Mi'Kola (CHSO) def. Martin, Mary Angela (USA) 6-3, 6-4
6. Matuskova, Laura (USA) def. Koussenkova, Valeria (CHSO) 6-0, 6-0
1. Valkova, Laura/Newton, Emily (USA) def. Sidorenko, Angelica/Cooper, Mi'Kola (CHSO) 8-2
2. Martin, Mary Angela/Meszarosova, M. (USA) vs. Luecke, Nicolin/Hubler, Yvonne (CHSO) 5-6, unfinished
3. Sanchez, Paula/Mitta, Monica (USA) def. Placha, Marketa/Cloessner, Sophie (CHSO) 8-3
Charleston Southern 3-1
South Alabama 4-0; National ranking #74
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (6,3,5,1,4,2)