CHARLESTON, S.C. - The Charleston Southern and UNC Asheville attacks battled rain drops and tenacious defenses, but in the end it was a goal by Sidney Doherty in the waning minutes that produced a 1-0 Buccaneer victory in Big South women's soccer action Saturday.
CSU upped its record to 5-2-2 overall and 2-1-1 in the Big South while defeating the Bulldogs for the third straight year. UNCA dropped to 1-5-3 and 0-2-1 in the conference.
How It Happened
- Doherty took a through pass from Emily Kifer and rocketed a shot past the UNCA defense and into the lower left corner of the goal in the 88th minute
- The goal was Doherty's first of the season and seventh of her career while Kifer had her first career assist
- Alyssa Dellacqua improved to 2-0-1 in her three starts this season, making seven saves and picking up her eighth career shutout
- The Bucs had the better of the scoring opportunities for much of the game, including a blast by Kayla Robinson that was deflected over the crossbar in the 21st minute
- A connection between Maddie Reilly and Danielle Maggio in the 60th minute nearly produced the tiebreaker, but Maggio's shot was saved
Inside the Numbers
- The Bucs outshot the Bulldogs 19-12 including 10-7 on goal
- CSU had the only five corner kicks
- Doherty finished with five shots with three on goal. The senior has 12 shot attempts in the last two games.
- Courtney O'Malley had nine saves for the Bulldogs
News and Notes
- The Doherty goal prevented a fifth-straight CSU overtime game
- Doherty is the ninth different CSU player to score a goal this season
- In addition to its three-game winning streak over UNCA, the Bucs are 10-2-1 in the last 13 meetings
- Dellacqua has 232 saves in her career, moving within 11 of passing Pam Ramler for fourth in school history
Player of the Game
The Bucs wrap up a brief two-game homestand on Wednesday with a 4 p.m. game against Campbell