CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern battled College of Charleston to a draw in the second half but could not cut into a 2-0 halftime deficit in falling to the Cougars in the annual battle for the Silver Cup on Sunday at the CSU Soccer Field. The loss gave the Buccaneers (2-4) a split of their weekend games against their two city rivals while CofC evened its record at 3-3.
How They Scored
- CofC took a 1-0 lead in the 21st minute when Alyssa Beck beat Alyssa Dellacqua with a left footed rocket from outside the top of the box.
- With just under three minutes left in the first half, Mary Kate Bowers beat Dellacqua to a loose ball on a pass from Katrina Koomen and put it in an empty net to give the Cougars a 2-0 lead at the break.
- CSU had two solid scoring chances in the second half. In the 57th minute, a shot by Jazzin Clark just below the crossbar was saved by Genevieve Henderson. Ten minutes later, Emilie Gilbert got a foot on a corner kick from Sidney Doherty but it was blocked by the Cougar defense.
Inside the Numbers
- After the Cougars outshot CSU 9-1 in the first half, the Bucs matched them with six shots apiece after intermission.
- CofC had five shots on goal to three for the Bucs. Dellacqua and Henderson both finished with three saves.
- Seven different Bucs had shots with Clark, Doherty and Lydia Frierson registering shots on goal.
News and Notes
- CofC has won nine in a row over the Bucs.
- Dellacqua moved into a tie with former teammate Liz-Amanda Brown for seventh place in school history with 151 saves.
Quoting Eric Terrill
"I think you have to work hard to build a culture of confidence. In the first half we didn't have that confidence, but I think we played really well in the second half and had some nice scoring opportunities. If something had gone our way, it may have been a different game. But it is all part of us working to get that confidence going as we get closer to the start of our conference season."
The Bucs are off until next Sunday when they host Delaware State in the Nike Challenge. Game time at the CSU Soccer Field is 1 p.m.