CHARLESTON, S.C. – A game-high 18 points from Breannah Bretches and a near double-double from Shelby Wilbanks were enough to help lead the Charleston Southern women's basketball team to a 67-57 home win over Winthrop Wednesday night.
CSU (11-17, 8-9 Big South) was able to overcome early turnovers and shots that weren't falling, flipping the script and doubling-up Winthrop (10-18, 6-11 Big South) 30-15 over the final 10 minutes turning a five-point deficit into a 10-point win.
Winthrop saw a double-double effort from Anika Riley with 10 points and 17 rebounds as well as 12 points from Courtney Hagaman, but the CSU defense kept the Eagles grounded most of the night and below .400 from the floor in three of the four quarters.
In that 30-point fourth quarter, the Bucs shot 62% from the floor and knocked down 13-of-18 free throws to ice the game and create an insurmountable lead.
How It Happened
- Both teams struggled to find the bottom of the net in the early minutes, but finished the first in a 14-14 deadlock before a 29-28 halftime margin in favor of the visiting Eagles.
- Six different Buccaneers scored in the opening 10 minutes and Wilbanks pulled down four of her team-high nine boards in eight minutes.
- Winthrop's Anika Riley racked up early rebounds as well grabbing seven of her 17 in the first, then six more for a total of 13 at the break.
- Courtney Hagaman provided eight points off the bench in the second to lead the Eagles to a halftime advantage while Bretches countered with five for CSU.
- The third quarter saw 14 fouls between the two teams with Winthrop adding-on to their lead for a 41-37 score through 30 minutes.
- CSU flipped a switch in the fourth scoring a season-high 30 points while holding the Eagles to just 15. In the decisive fourth, the Bucs shot nearly 62% and hit 13 of their 18 free throw attempts to ice it.
News and Notes
- CSU improved to 6-3 since the calendar flipped to February and March improving their mark in the Big South from a tie for ninth to alone in seventh.
- Wednesday's win was also the fourth inside the Buc Dome for CSU in conference play and gave them an 11th win in the friendly confines over Winthrop since the turn of the century.
- CSU also collected win No. 32 over the Eagles, marking the most wins over one program in Buccaneer history.
- Bretches' team-high 18 marked the 14th time this season the senior guard scored 10-plus points.
- Since the start of Big South play, Shelby Wilbanks ranks second in shooting percentage at .553 and sits second on the team in scoring behind Bretches.
CSU ends the regular season Saturday afternoon searching for a season sweep of Longwood and a win on Senior Day. The six-member class of Breannah Bretches, Rachel Burns, Lexii Cassell, Weknyne Dumorne, Ke'Asia Jackson and Shelby Wilbanks will be honored before the game. Tipoff is slated for 3 p.m. on ESPN+ from the Buc Dome.