HAMPTON, Va. – Fueled by a 25-point third quarter and four players in double figures, the Charleston Southern women's basketball team upset second-place Hampton 72-57 Saturday inside the Hampton Convention Center in Big South play.
Senior guard Rachel Burns paced the CSU (9-15, 6-7 Big South) offense with 15 points while adding five boards two assists and two steals. Fellow seniors Ke'Asia Jackon (13 points, five rebounds), Shelby Wilbanks (12 points, six rebounds) and Breannah Bretches (12 points, five rebounds) finished the afternoon in double figures to counter a game-high 23 from Hampton's (13-10, 9-3 Big South) Laren Vanarsdale.
Both squads traded 15 and 13-point quarters across the opening half for a 28-all tie but a CSU offensive outburst to open the third made all the difference as the Bucs raced to a 25-13 period and carried a 53-41 lead heading into the last stanza.
In that third-quarter swing, CSU held Hampton to just .214 from the floor and kept the Pirates to a .346 mark across the full contest.
Saturday's win also marked the fourth away from the Buc Dome inside Big South play and was the second time CSU has won back-to-back road games this season.
How It Happened
- CSU opened the contest knocking down six of their first 12 attempts for a 15-13 advantage as they led for a total of 31:54 Saturday.
- Hampton countered with a 15-point second and had a chance for the halftime lead but the Buccaneer defense clamped down over the final moments to force a 28-all tie at the break.
- In the opening half, CSU shot .545 from the floor and held Hampton to just nine buckets.
- The third quarter is where CSU asserted itself racing out to a 53-41 lead after 30 minutes thanks to 25 points and a game-high 10 baskets. On the flip side, CSU held Hampton to just .214 from the field in the third.
- Hampton cut into the CSU lead and brought it back to single digits, but a late run from CSU closed it for their first conference win over Hampton.
- CSU used second chance points and a 16-6 advantage off the bench to close it out in the final moments.
News and Notes
- Saturday made it a perfect 5-0 for the Buccaneers when they score 70-plus points in a Big South game with three coming on the road.
- The win also moved CSU to 4-1 in the month of February, their best five-game stretch of the 2018-19 season thanks to a three-game win streak.
- Senior guard Rachel Burns led CSU in scoring for the fifth time this season joining classmates Breannah Bretches and Ke'Asia Jackson as the only three Bucs to do so five-or-more times.
- CSU now has a win over both newcomers this season after sweeping USC Upstate and Saturday's split.
- Both road teams took a game in the regular season series as Hampton took the opener Jan. 5 inside the Buc Dome before CSU repaid the favor.
CSU finishes their quick road trip Tuesday night when they head to Buies Creek, N.C. seeking another split with Campbell. A win would give the road team the advantage in both matchups. Tipoff from Gore Arena is set for 7 p.m. on ESPN+.