CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern ends a three-game homestand Tuesday night seeking a 4-0 start to February as well as four-game win streak. The Buccaneers handled business against USC Upstate their last time on the floor cruising to a 74-62 home win and season sweep of the Spartans.
CSU looks to even the season series with High Point after falling on the road in overtime their last time matching up. The Bucs saw 18 points from Ke'Asia Jackson, but a late second-half rally pushed the game to overtime where High Point pulled ahead for good.
The Bucs have also put themselves into striking distance of the No. 4 spot in the Big South standings sitting just one game behind Campbell, Gardner-Webb, UNC Asheville and Winthrop. CSU can also move within two games of the No. 3 spot if they can defeat High Point Tuesday night.
Last Time Out
- Senior guard Breannah Bretches turned-in her second 20-point effort of the week tying her career-high of 21 as the Charleston Southern women's basketball team rolled to a 74-62 win Saturday over USC Upstate in Big South action.
- The win pushed CSU to a perfect 3-0 in the month of February and gives the Bucs their first three-game win streak of the season. On the flip side, USC Upstate fell to CSU for the second time this season.
- CSU set the tone early once again holding the Spartans to just 17 first-half points and six made field goals to 13 turnovers while shooting above 46% themselves.
- Bretches paced a CSU offense that saw three players in double figures as fellow seniors Rachel Burns and Shelby Wilbanks added 16 and 12 each. The Bucs also shot .509 from the floor and were a perfect 9-of-9 from the charity stripe.
Scouting the Panthers
- Preseason Big South Player of the Year Emma Bockrath leads the High Point attack with 16.6 points per contest and sits third among conference leaders.
- In their last matchup, CSU effectively took Bockrath out of the game offensively, but the senior guard pulled down a game-high seven offensive rebounds to help the Panthers stage a comeback overtime win.
- All four of High Point's leading scorers sit among the top-25 in the Big South as Bockrath is joined by Lindsey Edwards (10.9 ppg), Shea Morgan (10.4 ppg) and Camryn Brown (10.2 ppg).
- Those four headline a High Point offense that posts a Big South-best 71.7 points per game and +8.2 scoring margin. High Point is one of two teams shooting above .400 on the season and collects the third-most rebounds at 40.4 per contest.
A Win on Tuesday Would
- Give the Bucs a four-game win streak inside Big South play for the first time this season.
- Complete a perfect 3-0 homestand after wins over UNC Asheville and USC Upstate.
- Move the Bucs to a perfect 4-0 in the month of February.
- Be the Bucs' fourth win on a Tuesday this season.
- Bring the Bucs to a .500 record in Big South play and just two games out of third in the conference standings.
Extra Basketball On Tap
- Charleston Southern has played many close games this season with seven of their nine Big South contests being decided by just single digits and two going to overtime.
- CSU has played three overtime games this season, all coming on the road and two occurring just seven days apart.
- The Bucs are 1-2 this season when playing an extra five minutes with losses at North Florida and High Point and a win at Presbyterian.
- In their first overtime win of the season, CSU shutout Presbyterian 8-0 after the Blue Hose erased a fourth-quarter deficit to force extra time.
- CSU also has the most single-digit losses in the Big South Conference this season with seven total including an 83-75 decision at SEC and National power Georgia.