CHARLESTON, S.C. – Senior guard Breannah Bretches turned-in her second 20-point effort of the week tying her career-high of 21 as the Charleston Southern women's basketball team rolled to a 74-62 win Saturday over USC Upstate in Big South action.
The win pushed CSU (8-14, 5-6 Big South) to a perfect 3-0 in the month of February and gives the Bucs their first three-game win streak of the season. On the flip side, USC Upstate (6-16, 2-9 Big South) fell to CSU for the second time this season.
CSU set the tone early once again holding the Spartans to just 17 first-half points and six made field goals to 13 turnovers while shooting above 46% themselves.
Bretches paced a CSU offense that saw three players in double figures as fellow seniors Rachel Burns and Shelby Wilbanks added 16 and 12 each. The Bucs also shot .509 from the floor and were a perfect 9-of-9 from the charity stripe.
USC Upstate was led offensively by DeNisha Swain's 16 while Brianna Lewis and Michaela Gibbons added 11 apiece. CSU held the Spartans to just .371 from the floor and forced 24 turnovers.
How It Happened
- CSU forced six Spartan turnovers in the opening 10 minutes and shot .462 while dishing out five assists and knocking down three treys.
- The Bucs followed with a stellar second-quarter defensively holding the Spartans to just six points on 2-of-12 shooting and forcing seven more turnovers.
- Brianna Lewis entered the contest as the Big South's leading scorer but was shutout over the first 30 minutes.
- CSU came out on fire in the third quarter knocking down 11-of-15, extending their lead to as much as 26 before taking a 24-point margin into the final quarter.
- The Spartans turned up the pressure defensively and put up 29 in the fourth for a comeback attempt, but CSU had built a lead too large to overcome.
News and Notes
- Breannah Bretches tied her career-high with a 21-point effort giving her back-to-back 20-point performances this week. Bretches became the first Buccaneer with consecutive 20-point games since Nov. 2016
- The Bucs shot .509 in the runaway win as they shot at least 50% in both victories against the Spartans.
- CSU begins their February slate a perfect 3-0 and grab their first three-game win streak of the season. Over the past month, the Bucs have jumped from 10th to just one game out the No. 4 spot in the Big South standings.
- The Bucs finished a perfect 9-of-9 from the free throw line marking the first time they connected on 100% of their free chances since Feb. 28, 2013 at Longwood.
- Saturday's win was the second-consecutive game in which the Bucs never trailed leading for a season-high 39:15 tying their mark set Tuesday versus UNC Asheville.
- CSU also improved to 3-1 against fellow South Carolina Big South schools with a pair of wins over USC Upstate and a road victory at Presbyterian.
CSU concludes their three-game homestand with a Tuesday night affair against High Point, a team CSU fell to in overtime just over two weeks ago. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. from the Buc Dome on ESPN+.