SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Sparked by a 17-2 run to close the first half and a 13-0 run in the fourth quarter, the Charleston Southern women's basketball team collected their second-straight Big South road win to down USC Upstate 78-75 Saturday afternoon.
Seniors Shelby Wilbanks and Ke'Asia Jackson combined for 39 points in the win as CSU (5-12, 2-4 Big South) used free throws and timely defense to stave off a late attempt from the home Spartans (5-11, 1-4 Big South).
Wilbanks hit the game-winning jumper with just :23 to play, giving CSU a 76-75 lead before free throws from Weknyne Dumorne and Rachel Burns pushed it to 78-75, where it would stand over the final seconds. Dumorne added her first double-double of the season with 10 points and 10 rebounds, making her the second Buccaneer with a double-double alongside Jasmine Blackmon.
USC Upstate had a chance to tie with a corner three at the buzzer, but the shot bounced off the rim and the Bucs came away with a key road win.
The duo of Wilbanks and Jackson went to-to-toe with the Spartans' Brianna Lewis (22 points, six assists and six steals) and Michaela Gibbons (21 points) while holding their second and third-leading scorers Riley Popplewell and DeNisha Swain to just 20 combined on the day.
How It Happened
- CSU shot above 40% in each quarter in the win, including a 66.7% in the first, to overcome a hot Spartan start.
- USC Upstate scored 29 points in the opening stanza thanks to 11 CSU turnovers and 24 field goal attempts, but the Buccaneer defense dug in over the final 10 minutes of the half to flip the script and outscore the Spartans 23-11 for a 43-40 halftime lead.
- The home Spartans responded with another 24-point quarter in the third before CSU closed the game with a 21-11 advantage in the final period.
- In the second and fourth quarters, CSU held USC Upstate to just .385 and .308 from the floor while knocking down at least .533 in each of those two periods.
- The Bucs and Spartans had five lead changes in the closing two minutes, but a stifling CSU defense kept USC Upstate out of the paint in the fourth to pull out the win.
News and Notes
- Shelby Wilbanks has been on a tear offensively lately, as she tallied her second 20-point game in the past seven days. She's also finished in double figures over the past three CSU contests while leading the Bucs in scoring each time out.
- Fellow senior Ke'Asia Jackson added 17 points Saturday while dishing out a team-high five assists and picking off four passes.
- Weknyne Dumorne finished with a double-double adding 10 points and boards, her first of the season and second for CSU this season – joining Jasmine Blackmon's 14-point, 11-rebound effort against Converse.
- The Bucs collected their second Big South road win of the season as they kicked off a four-game swing away from the Buc Dome Saturday. CSU also heads to conference power High Point, Gardner-Webb and Presbyterian over the next 14 days.
- CSU shot at least 40% in each quarter and outrebounded the Spartans by 20 and dished out 21 assists on their 34 field goals.
CSU gets a full week to prepare for High Point, a team the Bucs have played down to the wire over the past four head-to-head matchups. Tipoff from the Millis Center is set for 2 p.m. on ES