FARMVILLE, Va. – Paced by a career-high 30 points from Shelby Wilbanks and four players in double figures, the Charleston Southern women's basketball team held off a late rally from Longwood for an 81-74 win in Big South play.
Saturday's win was the ninth-straight in the series for the Bucs and the fourth-straight inside Willett Hall – giving the CSU senior class a perfect record in Farmville.
Wilbanks got hot early as he scored 14 in the first stanza, setting the stage for CSU's first 30-point performance since Nov. 2012. She was joined by Breanah Bretches, Tierra Steede and Rachel Burns in double figures as Burns also hit a trey just before halftime for her 1,000th career point at CSU. Burns' triple gave the Bucs their first pair of 1,000-point scorers since the 2010-11 season.
Wilbanks, as well as the quick hands from CSU's defense that picked off 16 passes, paced an attack that shot .492 overall and staved-off a late Longwood surge. The Bucs held a lead as large as 22 in the second half and reached the 80-point mark for the third time this season improving to 3-0 in those games.
Along with her 1,000th point, Burns paced the Bucs once again with six steals and five assists. CSU also dished out 16 assists on their 29 baskets.
How It Happened
- Shelby Wilbanks found the bottom of the net early and often, hitting seven of her first nine shots with 14 first-quarter points. Her 14 first-quarter and 20 first-half points were both season highs from any CSU player this season.
- Wilbanks' effort highlighted a 28-18 advantage after one quarter with the 28 points coming as a season-high for a single quarter.
- The home Lancers matched CSU's 18-point second quarter as sophomore guard Stephanie Guihon did her best to match Wilbanks' performance with 28 of her own.
- CSU led for over 36 minutes and never relinquished their advantage after the first media timeout.
- Longwood had one more late surge in them, scoring 27 in the final quarter and cutting the CSU margin to 78-72, but the Bucs hit their FTs down the stretch and came away winner.
News and Notes
- Wilbanks became the first Buccaneer with 30-plus points since Rachelle Coward did so on Nov. 28, 2012 against Coastal Carolina. She also matched her previous career-high in the first half alone at 20 points.
- Burns' trey just before halftime gave her 1,000 as a Buccaneer joining Ke'Asia Jackson as the first pair of active teammates with 1,000 points in a career since the 2010-11 season.
- Saturday's win was the first in Big South play for CSU and their first road win of the 2018-19 season after coming close multiple times.
- The senior class ends their career a perfect 4-0 in Willett Hall and the Bucs have won nine-straight in the all-time series improving to 10-8 overall. CSU is also 5-3 in Farmville.
CSU returns home Tuesday night to host preseason favorite Radford seeking back-to-back wins. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on ESPN+ from the Buc Dome.