CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern women's basketball hosts Tennessee Tech and Jacksonville this weekend as part of the 2018 Buccaneer Classic. Old Dominion from Conference-USA rounds out the field.
The Bucs opened their season 1-1 inside the Buc Dome and fell in their road opener to regional foe South Carolina State.
CSU's depth has been on full display through three contests thus far with 10 athletes playing 10-plus minutes in the opener and nine athletes playing at least 10 minutes against Davidson. The Bucs have also seen scoring contributions from around the floor with two different leading scorers in Ke'Asia Jackson and Jasmine Blackmon.
Buccaneer Classic Schedule
- Saturday, November 24, 2018 – Charleston Southern vs. Tennessee Tech 2 PM
- Saturday, November 24, 2018 – Old Dominion vs. Jacksonville 4 PM
- Sunday, November 25, 2018 – Tennessee Tech vs. Old Dominion 2 PM
- Sunday, November 25, 2018 – Charleston Southern vs. Jacksonville 4 PM
*Home team listed first
Lets Be Clear
- The Charleston Southern University Athletic Department is implementing a Clear Bag Policy for all athletic events inside the Buccaneer Field House for the entirety of the CSU men's and women's basketball seasons.
- Along with numerous NCAA Division I institutions across the country, as well as the policy implemented at Buccaneer Field over the last two seasons, this policy limits the size and style of bags carried into the venue.
- Each ticketed guest can carry one large clear bag – either a one-gallon Ziploc-style bag or the 12" x 6" x 12" clear bag – plus a small clutch purse (4.5" x 6.5"). The small clutch must be carried into the venue outside the clear bag and is subject to search.
Scouting the Golden Eagles
- Tennessee Tech is off to a 3-1 start under third-year head coach Kim Rosamond and a perfect 3-0 at home. Their lone loss came at Big East power Xavier by a 70-60 tally.
- The Golden Eagles are led by four players who average double figures - Jordan Brock (13.0), Lacy Cantrell (12.8), Akia Harris (10.3) and Kesha Brady (10.0).
- Cantrell also leads the Eagle offense with a .767 shooting percentage while the team is shooting .438 overall.
- The 60-point effort at Xavier - their lone loss - was the lowest scoring output of the season and have scored at least 68 in each of their three wins.
A Win on Saturday Would...
- Give CSU a 2-1 record inside the Buc Dome, matching last season's mark through three home contests.
- Bring the Bucs back to .500 after suffering back-to-back losses to Davidson and South Carolina State.
- Be the 25th all-time opponent CSU would be perfect against. CSU is at least 1-0 against 24 programs in school history led by a 9-0 mark versus Southern Wesleyan.
Scouting the Dolphins
- Jacksonville enters the Buccaneer Classic fresh off a win over Savannah State and sits at 2-2 despite a nonconference slate that includes SEC foe Texas A&M and ACC and National Power Florida State.
- In their two wins, the Dolphins have scored 68 and 73 points and have averaged 49 points in their matchups with Texas A&M and Florida State.
- Jasmyn Brown and Khadijah Brown lead Jacksonville's offense with 13.0 and 10.7 points per game while Kiara Meeks sits third at 9.3 per contest.
- Both Meeks and K. Brown are shooting above 50% as the Dolphins as a whole are shooting .380.
A Win on Sunday Would...
- Give CSU a 5-2 record all-time against Jacksonville and 7-4 record against Atlantic-Sun institutions.
- Snap a two-game skid against the Dolphins after a 4-0 start in series history.
- Be the second win over an A-Sun foe in the past three seasons after knocking off Lipscomb in the 2016-17 campaign.