CHARLESTON, S.C. – Charleston Southern continues their home slate Sunday welcoming Davidson from the Atlantic-10 Conference for Military Appreciation Day.
The Bucs took care of business in their season opener defeating Converse 101-50 reaching the century mark for the first time since the 2014-15 season.
A total of 10 Bucs saw at least 10 minutes of action Tuesday with none playing more than 26 overall. That depth allows CSU to enter Sunday rested and ready to roll against its first Division I opponent in Davidson – a team coming off an 80-47 win over Queens (N.C.) Wednesday night.
Lets Be Clear
- The Charleston Southern University Athletic Department is implementing a Clear Bag Policy for all athletic events inside the Buccaneer Field House for the entirety of the CSU men's and women's basketball seasons.
- Along with numerous NCAA Division I institutions across the country, as well as the policy implemented at Buccaneer Field over the last two seasons, this policy limits the size and style of bags carried into the venue.
- Each ticketed guest can carry one large clear bag – either a one-gallon Ziploc-style bag or the 12" x 6" x 12" clear bag – plus a small clutch purse (4.5" x 6.5"). The small clutch must be carried into the venue outside the clear bag and is subject to search.
Scouting the Wildcats
- Davidson enters Sunday's matinee with a 1-0 record after an 80-47 win over Queens (N.C.) Wednesday night. The Wildcats are fresh off a 12-win 2017-18 season, doubling their win total from the previous campaign and collecting a 7-9 A-10 record.
- Second year head coach Gayle Coats Fulks has injected new energy into the program. She became the third head coach in program history to win her home debut last season, they overcame a 19-point deficit to beat Big South power High Point, and set a new road winning streak in A-10 games taking three-straight at Richmond, St. Bonaventure and Rhode Island.
- Now a sophomore, Katie Turner set the program record with 75 treys, turning that into a spot on the A-10 All-Rookie team. She and current senior Justine Lyon combined for over 25.0 points per game last season.
- Turner opened the season with a team-high 21 points Wednesday on 6-of-10 shooting in 31 minutes. She headlined a pack of four Wildcats in double figures including Kianna Speight (14 points), Cassidy Gould (12 points) and Kelly Fitzgerald (11 points).
Off and Running
- Charleston Southern was one of 11 Division I teams to score at least 100 points on Opening Day joining the likes of ranked powers Baylor, Louisville and Iowa.
- The 101 points put up against Converse were the most by the Bucs in a season opener since a 98-35 win against Trinity Baptist during the 2014-15 season.
- CSU hit the century mark for the first time since the 2013-14 season against the same Trinity Baptist program collecting a 101-47 win.
- Since Fred Applin took over in 2012-13, CSU has reached the century mark three times with a high of 105 on Nov. 15, 2012 against Hiwassee.