CHARLESTON, S.C. – Liberty led from wire to wire as the Flames defeated the Buccaneers, 95-57, on Saturday at the Buc Dome.
CSU falls to 10-17, 5-11 following the defeat, while Liberty improves to 19-9, 14-2 with the win. Shelby Wilbanks led the Bucs with 16 points and six rebounds.
Liberty led 7-2 when the Flames used a 20-0 run to take a 27-2 lead following Ola Makurat's three-pointer with 58 seconds left in the first quarter. Wilbanks and Ke'Asia Jackson connected on back-to-back three-pointers to close the period as CSU trailed 27-8.
The Flames opened the second quarter on a 10-4 to run to grab a 37-12 lead on Ashtyn Baker's layup with 5:41 left. Jackson's jumper ended a CSU scoring drought of over three minutes as the Bucs trailed 37-14. Baker banked in a three-pointer at the buzzer to give Liberty a 45-18 halftime advantage.
In a balanced third quarter, Wilbanks converted on a traditional three-point play to cut Liberty's lead to 56-31 with 4:39 remaining in the period. The Flames scored seven straight points to go ahead 63-31 on Nene Johnson's layup with 2:04 to go. Wilbanks' floater with one second left trimmed Liberty's lead to 65-36 at the end of the third stanza.
A Makurat layup extended the Flames' lead to 77-45. Njeri Nelms had a layup as CSU trailed 78-52 with 3:43 to go. Liberty used a 13-2 run to grab a 91-54 lead as the Flames ran away with the victory.
Baker led Liberty with 18 points, while Keyen Green had 15 points and seven rebounds.
Inside the Numbers
- Liberty pounded the ball down low as the Flames held a 48-26 advantage in points in the paint.
- Liberty's 20 assists doubled CSU's team total of ten dimes.
- The Flames shot a solid 57.4% (35-of-61) from the field and 47.1% (8-of-17) from the three-point line, while CSU shot only 41.5% (22-of-53) from the floor and 29.4% (5-of-17) from behind the arc.
- Shelby Wilbanks' scored 16 points on 7-of-10 shooting from the field.
- CSU's four team blocks doubled Liberty's total of two blocks.
News and Notes
- CSU dropped its fifth straight Big South contest.
- The Bucs fell to 7-7 at the Buc Dome.
- CSU sits in eighth place in the Big South standings with only two games remaining in the regular season.
CSU returns to action when it travels to play at Winthrop on Tuesday at 7 p.m.