CLINTON, S.C. – Shelby Wilbanks made a game-winning layup with 17 seconds left as Charleston Southern defeated Presbyterian, 64-61, on Tuesday at the Templeton Center.
With the game tied 61-61, Wilbanks grabbed an offensive rebound off a missed three-pointer and made a move to the basket for a layup to put CSU ahead 63-61. Cortney Storey missed a layup with seven seconds left and PC was forced to foul. Dumorne connected on 1-of-2 free throws to extend CSU's lead to 64-61 with five seconds remaining. Presbyterian went the length of the court only to have Janie Miles' three-pointer from the corner fall just off the mark at the buzzer to give the Bucs the win.
CSU improves to 8-12, 3-6 following the win, while PC falls to 7-13, 4-5 with the loss. Weknyne Dumorne led the Bucs in scoring with 17 points, while Wilbanks recorded a double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds.
Ericka Blackwell-Boyden's jumper capped an early 15-2 run as Presbyterian jumped ahead of the Bucs early in the first quarter. Dumorne ended a scoring drought of over two minutes with a traditional three-point play to cut the lead to 17-7. Ke'Asia Jackson's layup at the buzzer put the score at 21-11 at the end of the first quarter.
Anna Webster's layup pulled the Bucs within four to make it 26-22 with 5:08 to play in the second period. Defense took over for the remainder of the half as Storey's three-pointer at the 2:07 mark put the Blue Hose ahead 29-22 at halftime.
Lexii Cassell gave CSU its first lead of the game when she converted on 1-of-2 free throws to put the Bucs ahead 37-36 with 3:41 left in the third quarter. Janie Miles' three-pointer gave the Blue Hose a 42-39 lead. Dumorne scored the final four points of the period to put CSU back in front 43-42 at the end of the third stanza.
The Bucs opened the fourth quarter on fire as Wilbanks capped off a 9-0 CSU run with two free throws to go ahead 52-42. PC responded with three trifectas and a jumper in a 1:40 span to give the Blue Hose a 56-54 advantage with 4:21 to go in the game. Timely layups from Wilbanks and Dumorne trimmed the margin to 59-58 before Burns connected on a traditional three-point play to put CSU ahead 61-59 with 51 seconds left. Storey's layup tied the game 61-61 only to setup Wilbanks' game-winner.
Inside the Numbers
- CSU pounded the ball down low as the Bucs outscored the Blue Hose 42-10 in points in the paint.
- Charleston Southern scored 23 points off the bench compared to PC's nine points.
- Shauntavia Dobson moves into a tie for seventh all-time at CSU with 114 three-pointers made. She matches the mark set by Danielle Baskin (2002-06) and Yolanda Brown (1985-89).
- Janie Miles scored 14 points to lead three Presbyterian players in double-figures.
- Charleston Southern shot a solid 47.2% from the field.
- CSU shot only 22.7% (2-of-9) from three-point range, while PC connected on 26.7% (12-of-45) from behind the arc.
News and Notes
- Shelby Wilbanks recorded the first double-double of her CSU career.
- CSU notches its first Big South road win of the season.
- The Bucs improve to 13-12 all-time against Presbyterian.
- Charleston Southern sits in eighth place in the Big South standings at the midway point of conference play.
CSU travels to play at Longwood on Saturday at 5 p.m.