DURHAM, N.C. - Charleston Southern was unable to overcome host Duke in the opening game of the day and fell in the tournament finale to Kansas to close out the Duke/N.C. State Invitational on Sunday. The Bucs fell, 9-5, to the Blue Devils in the early game, before falling to Kansas, 6-0, in the afternoon contest.
Game One: Duke 9, Charleston Southern 5
Charleston Southern was unable to keep pace with host Duke on Sunday morning as the Buccaneers fell in the opener against the Blue Devils, 9-5.
The Blue Devils recorded four extra-base hits highlighted by triples from Deja Davis and Marissa Gagliano. Gagliano led the offense with two hits and three RBI in the win.
Holly Clark (2-6) suffered the loss in the circle allowing three hits and five unearned runs over the first 0.2 innings. Arizona Pilgrim and Alyssa Heinrich combined to go the rest of the way for the Bucs.
Amelia Wiercioch (2-3) took the win in the relief effort going 2.1 innings and allowing two hits. Peyton St. George and Brianna Butler combined for the remaining 4.2 innings of work in the circle.
How They Scored
- Duke struck for five runs in the top of the first inning highlighted by a run-scoring double from Kristina Foreman and a two-run triple from Gagliano.
- Summer Moore put the first CSU run across the plate in the bottom of the first inning as the junior singled home Bakenhus to cut the margin to 5-1.
- Bakenhus put the Bucs back in the scoring column in the bottom of the second as the junior left fielder brought home Ewing and Rhiana Hubbard with a single through the left side to cut the margin to 5-3.
- Caroline Jacobsen and Gagliano both drove home RBI in the top of the third to push Duke's lead back to 7-3.
- Jameson Kavel's sacrifice fly to left in the top of the fourth scored Deja Davis and stretched the lead to 8-3.
- Bakenhus added two more runs in the bottom of the fourth as her bases-loaded single brought home Ewing and Sarah Brown to cut the margin to 8-5.
- Rachel Abboud brought home the final run of the game with a bases-loaded walk scoring Foreman in the top of the fifth.
Game Two: Kansas 6, Charleston Southern 0
Kansas utilized two late rallies to pull away from Charleston Southern in the tournament finale at the Duke Softball Field as the Buccaneers fell, 6-0, to the Jayhawks.
Brynn Minor (2-7) went the distance for the Jayhawks surrendering two hits while striking out three in the shutout. Minor also led the team at the plate with a 3-for-4 game and an RBI.
How They Scored
- Kansas scored four in the top of the fifth inning highlighted by Jennifer Marwitz's two-run triple and Shelby Hughston's RBI double to put the Jayhawks in the lead.
- Madison Sykes and Brynn Minor followed up with RBI in the sixth to provide the final margin in Kansas' 6-0 win.
News & Notes
- Annie Bakenhus recorded hits in all five games this past weekend and hit .500 from the plate with three doubles and four RBI.
- Bakenhus leads the team with 22 hits and 15 runs scored, as well as seven doubles.
Charleston Southern returns home for a Wednesday evening showdown against College of Charleston at the CSU Softball Field. First pitch between the Bucs and the Cougars is set for 6 p.m.