RALEIGH, N.C. - Charleston Southern was unable to keep pace on Saturday as the Buccaneers fell in both games at the Dail Softball Field on the campus of North Carolina State. The Bucs were topped by Ohio in extra innings in the early game, 4-3, while CSU fell to host N.C. State in the evening game, 6-0.
Game One: Ohio 4, Charleston Southern 3 (8 inn.)
Charleston Southern's eighth-inning rally came up just short as the Buccaneers fell in extra-innings to the Bobcats on the second day of the Duke/N.C. State Invitational.
Summer Moore drove in all three Charleston Southern runs, including two in the bottom of the eighth, as the Bucs mounted a late-inning rally in the eighth inning. The junior first baseman ended the afternoon 3-for-4 from the plate in addition to her trio of RBI. Annie Bakenhus added a pair of doubles and two runs scored to highlight CSU's offensive efforts.
Holly Clark (2-5) turned in another strong appearance in the circle as the junior went 7.2 innings allowing eight hits and four runs (three earned). She added five strikeouts to her totals. Alyssa Heinrich struck out the final batter to record the last out.
Madi McCrady (5-3) went the distance in the circle for the Bobcats allowing seven hits and three runs (two earned) while striking out eight. Charlee Pond and Morgan Geno both homered for the Bobcats.
How They Scored
- Caroline Spacek brought home the first run of the game with an RBI single through the left side of the infield scoring Pond in the top of the first to put Ohio ahead early.
- Summer Moore followed up Annie Bakenhus' leadoff double with a triple down the right field line to even the score at 1-1 in the bottom of the first.
- Geno and Pond both homered in the top of the eighth inning with Geno's blast scoring Allie Englant to put the Bobcats ahead 4-1.
- Moore's two-run single in the bottom of the eighth capped the scoring as she brought home Bakenhus and Erika Cooper for the final runs of the game.
Game Two: N.C. State 6, Charleston Southern 0
N.C. State took control of the game early behind a Brigette Nordberg three-run home run and Sydney Nester went the distance in the circle as the Buccaneers fell to the host Wolfpack in their final game on day two of the Duke/N.C. State Invitational.
Nester went the distance in the complete game shutout allowing just three hits and four walks while striking out nine in the win.
How They Scored
- Nordberg started the scoring with a three-run shot in the bottom of the second scoring Sam Russ and Angie Rizzi to give the Wolfpack the early lead.
- Morris drove in two with a run-scoring single in the bottom of the fourth allowing Nordberg and Nizzi to cross the plate and stretch the lead to 5-0.
- N. Jones capped the scoring with a bases-loaded walk allowing Skyler Johnston to score on the play for the final run of the ballgame.
News & Notes
- Summer Moore's three-hit game against Ohio was her second of the season and her fifth multi-hit game in 2019.
- Annie Bakenhus leads the Bucs with six doubles among her team-high 18 hits.
- Saturday's opener against Ohio was CSU's first extra-inning game of the season. CSU played three extra-inning affairs last season with the last coming on March 17, 2018, at Winthrop.
Charleston Southern closes out the Duke/N.C. State Invitational as the Buccaneers travel back to the Duke Softball Field to take on host Duke and Kansas in a two-game set. First pitch against the Blue Devils is set for 10:30 a.m., while CSU will close out the weekend against Kansas at 1 p.m.