CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern was unable to hold off a late South Dakota rally as the Buccaneers fell to visiting South Dakota on the final day of the Willie Jewell's Invitational, 8-6.
Sporting a 6-3 lead heading into the top of the seventh inning, CSU (3-3) was unable to keep a potent South Dakota (4-1) lineup at bay. The Coyotes took advantage of three hits and an untimely CSU error to push five runs across in the inning to take the lead.
The Bucs were unable to rally in the bottom of the seventh with South Dakota reliever Dustie Durham retiring CSU in order in the inning to secure the win.
Arizona Pilgrim (1-3) went the first 6.2 innings in the losing effort on Sunday afternoon. The senior right-hander was unable to pitch around trouble in the last inning and scattered 10 hits and eight runs (five earned) in the loss. Holly Clark fielded a line drive back up the middle to record her lone out in the circle.
Sarah Brown (3-for-4) and Caitlyn Emberson (2-for-3) continued to swing the hot bats in the middle of the lineup for the Bucs. SeaEnna Satcher came up with a team-high three RBI, including a two-run single in the bottom of the fifth that stretched CSU's lead to 6-3.
Jamie Holscher was a perfect 3-for-3 from the plate for the visiting Coyotes. Lauren Eamiguel added two hits, including a two-run home run, for the visitors.
How They Scored
- CSU plated two runs in the bottom of the first inning to take the early lead over South Dakota. Caitlyn Emberson and Sarah Brown connected on back-to-back RBI singles scoring Brooklynn Brewington and Christi Takac to put the Bucs ahead 2-0.
- Lauren Eamiguel tied it up in the top of the second inning as the shortstop connected on a one-out, two-run home run over the left field wall to tie the contest up.
- Jamie Holscher put South Dakota ahead in the top of the third with a sacrifice fly to right field scoring Camielle Fowler.
- Caitlyn Emberson connected on her first home run of the season in the Bucs' ensuing at-bat as the senior catcher drilled the first pitch over the left centerfield wall to tie the game up at 3-3. SeaEnna Satcher followed up with an RBI on a fielder's choice scoring Brown to put the Bucs back in the lead.
- Satcher came up big for the Bucs again in the bottom of the fifth as the freshman singled to left center and brought home Emberson and Brown.
- South Dakota rallied in the seventh with Jadyn DeWitte starting the rally with a two-run double to right center scoring Eamiguel and Ana Iliopoulos. Fowler added a sacrifice fly two batters later to even the score.
- Durham put the Coyotes in the lead in the top of the seventh inning as she slapped a line drive to right field. Two runners scored on the play to finish the scoring in the contest.
Inside the Numbers
- It took six games, but Charleston Southern recorded its first home run of the season as Caitlyn Emberson went deep in the third inning. The senior catcher connected on the Bucs' first home run one season after CSU hit 56 as a team.
- Sarah Brown continued her hot streak to start the season as the sophomore leads the Bucs with a .526 batting average, 10 hits, seven runs, and four stolen bases after the first six games.
- Caitlyn Emberson leads the Bucs with nine RBI in addition to her home run.
- Eight of CSU's nine batters in the lineup recorded hits in Sunday's contest.
- CSU's pitching staff posted a 2.95 ERA over the first weekend of the season
Charleston Southern is home again this week as the Buccaneers welcome Coastal Carolina to the CSU Softball Field on Wednesday afternoon. First pitch between the former Big South rivals is set for 4 p.m. and will be streamed live on ESPN+.