CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern opens up the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament on Thursday night as the Buccaneers welcome Florida Atlantic to the Buccaneer Field House. Tipoff between the Buccaneers and the Owls is set for 7 p.m. with the game to be carried live online at WatchCit.com.
The Buccaneers (17-15) are making just their fourth appearance in the postseason after accepting the berth in the CIT. It marks CSU's first appearance in the CIT in program history having previously attended the NCAA (1997) and the NIT (2013 & 2015).
Florida Atlantic (17-15) is making just their third appearance in the postseason entering Thursday's game. The Owls have attended the NCAA and the NIT in their program history.
Charleston Southern lost its only matchup against a Conference USA opponent this season after the Buccaneers dropped a 76-73 decision to Middle Tennessee State back on November 16. Christian Keeling poured in 29 second-half points to spearhead a spirited Charleston Southern rally. Keeling matched a career high with 33 points and nearly willed the Bucs back from a 21-point hole.
FAU has yet to face a Big South opponent this season.
The winner of Thursday's game will advance to take on a to-be-determined opponent in the CIT Second Round.
Game Quick Hits
- Thursday night marks the first appearance in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament in Charleston Southern men's basketball history.
- The game against Florida Atlantic marks the first time the Buccaneers and the Owls have faced off against each other in program history.
- The Bucs appearance in the CIT marks the first time CSU has made a postseason appearance since 2015 when the Bucs make their second trip to the NIT.
- Charleston Southern is one of three Big South teams in the CIT postseason field joining Hampton and Presbyterian in action in the 26-team field.
- Christian Keeling continues to pour on the accolades to his career as the junior guard earned Big South All-Tournament honors for the second time in his career.
- The Buccaneers have held the last eight different teams they've faced off against under 40.0% shooting from the floor dating back to February 16 against Radford.
- Florida International enters the Thursday evening game having lost four of their last five games.
- The Buccaneers have won 10 of their last 14 games heading into the Thursday contest.
- CSU boasts an impressive 12-4 record at home in the Buccaneer Field House this season.
- FAU is 6-8 away from home this season.
Florida International Hits
- Florida Atlantic was tied for ninth overall in the Conference USA in the postseason standings. The Owls posted an 8-10 overall record on the season in C-USA play and posted a 19-13 record heading into the CIT.
- The Owls are making just their third postseason appearance in program history. FAU appeared in the 2002 NCAA Tournament and a trip to the 2011 NIT. An Owls win would be the program's first postseason victory.
- Florida Atlantic struggled at the end of the season with the Owls dropping four of their final five games of the season. FAU topped North Texas on the road in their final win prior to the postseason.
- FAU led the C-USA in free throw percentage on the season with a 75.0% average from the charity stripe on the year.
- Jailyn Ingram paces the Owls with 18.9 points per game to lead three players averaging double-digits scoring. Anthony Adger (15.5) and Xavian Stapleton (13.3) are also in double-digits for the Owls.
- Adger leads the Owls with 89 three-pointers on the season.
- Six different FAU players are shooting over 70.0% from the free throw line this season.