CHARLESTON, S.C. - It's Senior Day for Charleston Southern as the Buccaneers prepare to recognize Travis McConico prior to his final game inside the Buccaneer Field House. The Bucs welcome UNC Asheville for a Big South Conference matchup on Wednesday night. Tipoff between the Bucs and the Bulldogs is set for 7:30 p.m.
The Bucs (13-14, 7-7 Big South) will recognize McConico in a pregame ceremony at 7:25 p.m. as Charleston Southern looks to continue its momentum heading into the final games of the regular season. CSU has won six of their last nine, including a prior 85-75 win over the Bulldogs, and will look to continue to keep its hopes of earning a first-round bye alive.
CSU is tied for seventh overall in the conference standings with Hampton (7-7) with two games to play in the conference regular season. The top five receive an automatic bye into the quarterfinal round, while the remaining six will compete on Tuesday, March 5th, in the Big South First Round.
The Bucs are looking to bounce back from a tough double-overtime road loss this past weekend against Winthrop. CSU was unable to hold off the Eagles in Rock Hill in the ESPN3 game, falling 80-78, on the road.
CSU Quick Hits
- Charleston Southern continues to battle heading into the final week of the 2018-19 season.
- The Buccaneers will be recognizing its lone senior, Travis McConico, prior to tipoff against UNC Asheville in their home regular-season finale on Wednesday.
- McConico has been a key member of the Bucs over the last two seasons with 39 starts among his 57 games played.
- McConico's career highlights include a 23-point performance last season against Liberty, as well as his first career double-double earlier this season against USC Upstate.
- The Bucs are looking to complete the season sweep over UNC Asheville after previously topping the Bulldogs, 85-75, in Kimmel Arena on February 9.
- The Bucs are looking to get back to .500 on the season with two games to play in the regular season.
- CSU is looking to post its second winning month of the season after posting a 4-3 mark back in November.
- Christian Keeling enters Wednesday night's game having posted three consecutive double-doubles on the season, including a 22-point, 12-rebound game against the Eagles.
- The Bucs lined up in their first overtime game of the season in the loss to Winthrop.
- Phlandrous Fleming posted his second double-double of the season with 15 points and 10 rebounds off the bench against Winthrop.
UNC Asheville Quick Hits
- UNC Asheville was picked eighth overall in the Big South Men's Basketball preseason poll announced at the conference's media day. The Bulldogs received 151 points overall in the poll.
- Head Coach Mike Morrell is in his first season with the Bulldogs after joining Asheville from the University of Texas as an assistant coach.
- Morrell is no stranger to CSU after serving on Barclay Radebaugh's coaching staff in 2010-11.
- UNC Asheville is currently 10th in the Big South standings with two games to play in the regular season.
- Three of UNC Asheville's wins have come in the friendly confines of Kimmel Arena. Their lone road win happened on February 13 as the Bulldogs completed the season sweep over USC Upstate.
- DeVon Baker leads the Bulldogs with 16.5 points per game.
- The Bulldogs are third in the Big South and sit among the national leaders in free throw percentage with the team hitting 74.5% of their attempts on the year.