CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern continues its road swing this week as the Buccaneers make the trip to Boiling Springs, N.C. for a Wednesday night clash on ESPN+. Tipoff between the Bucs and the Gardner-Webb Runnin' Bulldogs is set for 7 p.m. in Paul Porter Arena.
CSU (11-12, 5-5 Big South) has won each of its last two conference road games and is coming off an 85-75 win over UNC Asheville this past Saturday inside Kimmel Arena. Christian Keeling sparked the second-half run scoring 21 of his game-high 27 points and teamed up with Ty Jones, Phlandrous Fleming, and Dontrell Shuler to shoot 72.7% from the floor in the second half.
Gardner-Webb (15-10, 5-5 Big South) is coming off a tough overtime loss on the road at Presbyterian on Saturday. It was the third consecutive game the Runnin' Bulldogs have gone to overtime and snapped a three-game winning streak this season. GWU's loss to the Blue Hose also snapped a 10-game winning streak against PC and dropped the Runnin' Bulldogs into a three-way tie for sixth overall in the conference regular season standings.
Charleston Southern took the first matchup between the two teams back on January 26 in the Buccaneer Field House. CSU put together a complete defensive effort, holding GWU to 16.7% shooting in the first half on their way to building a 14-point halftime lead. CSU cruised from there, going up by as many as 26 on their way to the Big South home win.
The trip to Gardner-Webb will be one of CSU's toughest of the season as the Buccaneers face an opponent undefeated at home in the 2018-19 season. The Runnin' Bulldogs have posted a 9-0 record inside their friendly confines with wins over High Point, UNC Asheville, and Hampton. Each of GWU's last three home games has gone into overtime.
CSU Quick Hits
- Charleston Southern is back at .500 heading into the midweek matchup as the Buccaneers topped UNC Asheville on the road this past weekend, 85-75.
- CSU has won its last two Big South road games and its third overall this season after topping both USC Upstate and UNC Asheville over the last two weekends.
- The Bucs took the first matchup against the Runnin' Bulldogs, 74-60, after putting on a defensive clinic that included holding GWU to a 16.7% shooting percentage from the floor.
- Wednesday night's game marks the first time the Bucs have faced a rematch against a conference opponent this season.
- CSU continues its conference rematches with games against Radford, USC Upstate, Winthrop, UNC Asheville, and Presbyterian prior to the Big South Championships (March 5-10).
- The Buccaneers have won four of its last five games started by its 74-60 win over the Runnin' Bulldogs.
- Christian Keeling continues to pace the Bucs this season with the junior guard sitting among the conference leaders in 10 different statistical categories.
Gardner-Webb Quick Hits
- Gardner-Webb was picked sixth overall in the Big South Men's Basketball poll announced at the conference's media day. The Runnin' Bulldogs collected one first-place vote and 230 points overall.
- Redshirt senior guard David Efianayi was a preseason All-Conference First Team selection after finishing as the conference's fourth-leading scorer in 2017-18. He is back among the leading scorers again with 18.5 points per game.
- Freshman guard Jose Perez is also among the conference's scoring leaders averaging 16.6 points per game. The Runnin' Bulldogs are the only team in the conference featuring two of the top 10 scorers.
- Gardner-Webb has won three of its last four games to improve to 5-5 in conference play this season. GWU is in a three-way tie with CSU and Hampton for the sixth spot in the conference standings.