CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern hits the road this weekend and looks to get back to .500 in Big South play as the Buccaneers make the trip to Asheville, N.C. and Kimmel Arena for a Saturday mid-afternoon contest against UNC Asheville. Tipoff between the Bucs and the Bulldogs is set for 2 p.m. on ESPN+.
The Bucs (10-12, 4-5) mounted a furious second half comeback against Winthrop on Thursday night as CSU rallied from a 16-point deficit with under four minutes to play. The Bucs utilized five steals over the final two minutes to pull the contest back to within two points, but CSU was unable to bridge the gap in falling to the Eagles, 76-72.
UNC Asheville (3-21, 1-9) dropped a 67-44 contest on the road at Presbyterian on Thursday night. The Bulldogs have struggled on the year under first-year head coach Mike Morrell, but all three of Asheville's wins have come inside friendly confines, including a 71-62 victory over USC Upstate on January 30.
The Bucs enter the game looking to kick a recent skid against the Bulldogs. Asheville has won the last seven matchups dating back to the 2015 season, including sweeping the season series last year. The Bulldogs also topped the Bucs in the Big South Quarterfinal round last season.
CSU Quick Notes
- Charleston Southern slipped back below .500 on Thursday night following a tough 76-72 loss to visiting Winthrop.
- It marked CSU's third home conference loss by a combined six points as the Buccaneers dropped decisions to High Point
(51-50), Campbell (73-72) and Winthrop (76-72).
- Nate Louis continued his recent hot streak in the starting lineup as the junior guard hit 4-of-5 three-pointers for 12 points in the loss against Winthrop.
- Freshman guard Dontrell Shuler added a team-high 16 points on 5-of-13 shooting in the loss to the Eagles.
- The Bucs' home loss against Winthrop snapped CSU's longest winning streak of the season at three games and moved CSU to 1-1 in the month of February.
- Christian Keeling became the fifth CSU player in program history to reach 1,000 points and 500 rebounds in his collegiate career against the Eagles following his 14 boards against Winthrop.
- The Bucs are looking to snap a seven-game losing streak against the Bulldogs dating back to the 2015 season.
- CSU dropped all three contests to UNC Asheville last season, including falling in the Big South Quarterfinal round in Kimmel Arena last March.
- CSU and Asheville will have a return date on February 27 in the Buc Dome for CSU's Senior Day.
Asheville Quick Notes
- UNC Asheville was picked eighth overall in the Big South Men's Basketball preseason poll announced at the conference's media day. The Bulldogs received 151 points overall in the poll.
- Head Coach Mike Morrell is in his first season with the Bulldogs after joining Asheville from the University of Texas as an assistant coach.
- Morrell is no stranger to CSU after serving on Barclay Radebaugh's coaching staff in 2010-11.
- UNC Asheville is currently tied for last in the Big South standings with USC Upstate with a 1-9 record in conference play this season.
- All three of UNC Asheville's wins have come in the friendly confines of Kimmel Arena, including a 71-62 victory over USC Upstate on January 30.
- DeVon Baker leads the Bulldogs with 16.5 points per game, while Coty Jude (10.3) is also averaging double-digits on the year.
- The Bulldogs lead the Big South and sit among the national leaders in free throw percentage with the team hitting 75.2% of their attempts on the year.