CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern returns home to the Buccaneer Field House on Saturday afternoon as the Buccaneers welcome Gardner-Webb for a Big South showdown. Tipoff on ESPN+ is set for 5:30 p.m.
The Buccaneers (7-11, 1-4 Big South) are looking to bounce back after a recent skid that includes losses in four of the last five games. CSU fell on the road to Radford on Thursday night, 86-78, on the road in the Dedmon Center.
CSU is looking to snap a two-game skid in the Buccaneer Field House after back-to-back home losses to High Point and Campbell. The Bucs will be looking for another strong performance from sophomore forward Ty Jones to help snap the skid against a Runnin' Bulldog team that enters with a 12-8 mark, 2-3 in conference play.
Jones was an impressive 10-of-12 from the floor and converted both three-point attempts in scoring a career-high 23 points. The sophomore forward connected on all six attempts in the first half and paced a Buccaneer offense that hit 57.7% from the floor in the loss to the Highlanders.
Gardner-Webb boasts one of the top players in the league in preseason First Team forward David Efianayi. He's one of four GWU players averaging double-digits this season and sits fifth in the conference rankings with 17.3 points per game.
CSU Quick Hits
- Charleston Southern fell to 1-4 in Big South play this past weekend with a tough 86-78 loss to Radford.
- The Buccaneers shot 57.5% from the floor, including a blistering 70.4% pace in the first half in building a lead over the Highlanders.
- Sophomore Ty Jones had a career game going 10-of-12 from the floor in scoring a career-high 23 points.
- Christian Keeling added a 20-point performance and added five rebounds against the Highlanders.
- CSU is looking to get back into the swing of conference play this weekend with back-to-back home contests against Gardner-Webb (Jan. 26) and Presbyterian (Jan. 30).
- The Bucs and Runnin' Bulldogs split the season series last year with both teams winning in their respective home arenas.
- Gardner-Webb has won six of the last seven contests with the Bucs snapping the streak last season against the Runnin' Bulldogs on January 21, 2018.
- The Bucs will face a tough test against one of the top offenses in the conference. GWU leads the Big South in scoring margin (+10.9) and field goal percentage (48.6%).
- CSU is looking to bounce back from a tough skid to open conference play dropping four of their last five games.
GWU Quick Hits
- Gardner-Webb was picked sixth overall in the Big South Men's Basketball poll announced at the conference's media day. The Runnin' Bulldogs collected one first-place vote and 230 points overall.
- Redshirt senior guard David Efianayi was a preseason All-Conference First Team selection after finishing as the conference's fourth-leading scorer in 2017-18. He is back among the leading scorers again with 17.3 points per game
- Freshman guard Jose Perez is one of two players in the Big South with a triple-double this season, joining CSU's Christian Keeling in achieving the feat. Perez picked up the accomplishment n December 1 against Savannah State with 17 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists.
- GWU posted an eight-game winning streak spanning from November 28 to December 29. Included in the streak were wins at Georgia Tech (Dec. 17, 79-69) and at Wake Forest (Dec. 29, 73-69).
- GWU has posted a 7-0 record at home this season, but a 4-6 record in true road games this year.