RADFORD, Va. - Radford took control midway through the second half and held off the visiting Buccaneers in the Dedmon Center on Thursday night, 86-78.
Charleston Southern (7-11, 1-4) shot 70.4% from the floor in the first half in holding the seven-point advantage at the break. The Buccaneers were hampered by second-half turnovers with the Highlanders scoring 14 points off eight CSU miscues in guiding the comeback.
Radford (15-6, 7-0) remained undefeated in Big South Conference play with the win over the Bucs. The Highlanders withstood a career-game from CSU sophomore forward Ty Jones in taking the conference win and avenging a loss in Dedmon Center to the Bucs last season.
Jones was 10-of-12 from the floor and converted both three-point attempts in scoring a career-high 23 points. Christian Keeling added 20 points and a team-high five rebounds, while Travis McConico (10) and Dontrell Shuler (10) were also in double-digits.
Polite Jr. paced the Highlanders with 18 points and 10 rebounds to lead five Radford players in double-digits. Travis Fields Jr. added 15 points, while Carlik Jones (13), Mawdo Sallah (12) and Caleb Tanner (12) all hit the double-digit mark for RU.
How It Happened
- Radford held control of the contest early behind a strong start from Ed Polite Jr. The senior forward scored the Highlanders first seven points on the way to leading RU to the early 9-4 lead.
- The Bucs kept the contest close throughout the first half with Duncan LeXander, Sean Price, and Christian Keeling connecting on a trio of three-pointers to pull the margin back within one at 19-18 with 12:23 left in the half.
- Radford took its largest lead of the first half at 31-24 on Devin Hutchinson's three-pointer with 8:31 remaining.
- Trailing 38-33 following a Devonnte Holland tip-in, Price drilled his second three-pointer of the contest and Keeling followed with a jumper to tie the score up at 38-38 at the 3:51 mark.
- McConico gave the Bucs their first lead of the contest with a driving layup and the and-1 and Dontrell Shuler scored five of CSU's last nine points heading into the break to give CSU the 50-43 lead.
- CSU hit 11 of their last 12 shots heading into the break to take the seven-point lead. Included during this run was a 3-of-4 mark from the three-point line.
- Ty Jones already had a season-high 14 points at the halftime break hitting 6-of-6 from the field and converted his lone three-point attempt.
- Jones continued to have the hot hand at the start of the second half putting the Bucs ahead 52-45 in the first minute of the period with a turnaround jumper.
- The Highlanders steadily battled back with Polite Jr. tying the game up at 54-54 to cap a 9-2 run with a layup off the assist from Carlik Jones.
- Tanner's three-pointer at the 12:39 mark swung the advantage to the Highlanders and his triple a minute later gave Radford the 65-61 lead.
- Radford's lead reached double-digits at 79-69 with 5:37 to play on Mawdo Sallah's three-point play.
- The Bucs continued to fight the remainder of the contest, but were unable to bridge the gap in the conference loss.
Inside the Numbers
- CSU shot a blistering 70.4% (19-of-27) from the floor in the first half with seven of their eight misses coming from behind the arc.
- Seven different players scored in the first half with six connecting on three-pointers over the opening 20 minutes.
- Radford took advantage of 12 CSU turnovers in the game in scoring 21 points in the contest.
- The Highlanders led in bench points (23-9) and second chance points (13-8).
- The Bucs shot 57.7% from the floor in the contest (30-of-52).
- The last 11 contests between the two teams have been decided by single-digits dating back to December 1, 2011.
Charleston Southern returns home to the Buccaneer Field House on Saturday evening for a Big South Conference matchup against Gardner-Webb. Tipoff against the Runnin' Bulldogs is set for 5:30 p.m.