CHARLESTON, S.C. – VMI staged a 16-2 second half run to turn a five-point deficit into a nine-point lead and defeat Charleston Southern, 76-68, Tuesday at the Buc Dome.
CSU (4-3) led 53-48 with 8:11 left following a Javis Howard jump hook before VMI countered with 12 consecutive points to move in front for good. Austin Vereen hit three three-pointers in a 1:25 span and Bubba Parham knocked down another to put the Keydets up 60-53. Parham finished the decisive run with two free throws to make the score 64-55 at the 2:50 mark. The Bucs had opportunities in the waning moments but VMI (3-3) held on to snap CSU's four-game winning streak.
Vereen and Parham combined for 43 points and 8-for-12 shooting from beyond the arc to pace VMI. CSU recorded a 39-30 rebounding advantage but scuffled offensively, finishing 4-for-22 from downtown while committing 19 turnovers.
"It came down to our inability to make open shots and our inability to keep them in front," CSU head coach Barclay Radebaugh said afterward. "We started off poorly and our approach defensively got us off balance early. In the last seven minutes (of the first half), we played better defensively and took the lead. Then in the second half, we got the lead to five and had the ball with a chance to go up seven or eight but we couldn't string together enough stops."
How It Happened
- Vereen's personal 9-0 run quickly gave VMI control after it appeared CSU had assumed control. The Keydets held the Bucs to just two points over a 5:21 stretch during the 16-2 run en route to prevailing.
- CSU had possession down seven points with 1:40 left and down six with 48 seconds left but came up empty both times.
- CSU led 31-30 at halftime and pushed its edge to six three times in the second half. Phlandrous Fleming Jr. provided a highlight with a steal and fast break dunk that sent the Bucs ahead 51-45 with 9:21 remaining.
- In the first half, VMI used an 11-0 run to get out to a 17-8 lead. The Keydets still led 28-19 at the 8:43 mark before CSU closed the period on a 12-2 run. VMI did not score over the final 5:40 of the opening stanza.
Inside the Numbers
- Vereen tallied 22 points and Parham posted 21 and six assists to power the Keydets.
- VMI entered shooting only 27.6 percent from three but sunk 12-of-28 tries from three.
- Christian Keeling paced CSU with 23 points. It was his 11th career 20-point game and first of the season.
- Ty Jones gave the Bucs 25 active minutes, finishing with 11 points on 5-of-6 shooting. He added three assists, a block and a steal.
CSU has a two-week break from game action before heading to South Carolina State on Dec. 12. Tipoff at the SHM Memorial Center in Orangeburg, S.C. is slated for 1 p.m.