CHARLESTON, S.C. – The Citadel used early Charleston Southern errors to jump to a 2-0 lead before taking the Friday night affair 10-1 from Joe Riley Park.
CSU (4-11) committed four errors in the first five frames as their rival Bulldogs (6-7) turned those into three unearned runs before adding insurance in the fifth inning.
Senior right-handed pitcher Tyler Weekley took another hard-luck loss tossing 5.0 innings surrendering seven runs, four earned while striking out a pair. The Citadel's Jordan Merritt picked up his second win of 2019 tossing 7.0 innings of one-run ball while striking out four Bucs.
Senior outfielder Josh Litchfield collected a two-hit night and drove in the lone CSU run on a double in the second inning.
How They Scored
- The Citadel scratched across the first two runs after a pair of walks and error loaded the bases. J.D. Davis singled through the left side for the first knock and Bulldog 2-0 lead.
- CSU responded with an RBI double from Josh Litchfield in the third for their first hit and run of the game.
- The Citadel tacked-on to their early lead with a run in the third and fourth before a three-spot in the fifth broke it open.
- After the unearned run in the third from the Bucs, Merritt found a groove to toss four-straight zeros while the Bulldog offense added insurance runs.
- The Citadel added two more runs in the seventh behind a sacrifice fly and passed ball.
- The Bulldogs scored their final run in the eighth after a single, error and RBI single through the right side to make it 10-1 where it would stand.
News and Notes
- Senior outfielder Josh Litchfield extended his hit streak to seven in the loss as well as his on-base streak to eight.
- Litchfield also singled in the eighth for his fifth- two-hit game of the season and seventh multi-hit game.
CSU and The Citadel continue their weekend series with Saturday's contest slated for a 6 p.m. start at CSU Ballpark.