Saturday, February 23, 2019
CSU vs. Georgia State – 4PM
Sunday, February 24, 2019
CSU vs. Georgia State – 1PM
CHARLESTON, S.C. - Charleston Southern returns to CSU Ballpark for a weekend set with Georgia State from the Sun Belt after a 1-2 opening series and 7-5 loss Wednesday at CofC.
The three-game set is the first meeting between CSU and Georgia State on the baseball diamond since the 1982 season when the Bucs swept a three-game set. Friday also marks the first of five games against teams in the Sun Belt as the Bucs also play a home-and-home midweek with Georgia Southern.
Friday also marks the 2019 debut for CSU Baseball on ESPN+ as senior ace Tyler Weekley is expected to take the hill against the Panthers. In his Opening Night outing, Weekley tossed 6.0 innings taking a hard-luck loss after striking out six La Salle batters and allowing four runs, three earned.
The Bucs look to right the ship and pick up a weekend series win as they hit a stretch in early March with three-straight neutral site games and home-and-homes with The Citadel.
Ryan Stoudemire became the latest Buccaneer with a three-hit game delivering three RBI's and blasting his first home run of the season. Three Bucs have collected three-hit games while Stoudemire and Dante Blakeney have three-plus RBI games.
A Series Win Would…
- Give the Bucs their first weekend series win of the season after dropping a tightly-contest opening set.
- Bring the Bucs back to .500 at CSU Ballpark.
- Keep the Bucs ahead in the all-time series after a 3-0 sweep back in the 1982 season at CSU Ballpark.
Scouting the Panthers
- Although Georgia State fell in two of the first three contests, they did have strong showings against Richmond and UIC.
- In the Friday night loss, Preseason All-American and Sun Belt Conference Pitcher of the Year Hunter Gaddis went 7 innings in a no-decision leaving the ballgame with a 3-2 lead. Both offenses exploded once the bullpens took over as Richmond score 4 in the eighth, Georgia State responded with three in the bottom of the ninth and Richmond tacked on 7 in the 10th for the 13-6 win.
- The Panthers fell in Saturday's game 8-2 to West Virginia after a four-run sixth from the Mountaineers, but responded well Sunday with a 9-5 win over UIC. The Flames scored five in the first inning, but the Panthers responded with eight-straight scoreless frames and taking a 9-5 decision.
- Gaddis is expected to take the ball Friday night after tossing 7.0 innings of no-decision baseball last week. The junior righty leads the Panther rotation after a 2018 that saw a 2.95 ERA and Sun Belt-best 9 wins.
- Georgia State is led offensively by Preseason All-Conference players Brandon Bell and Ryan Glass.
- Five different Buccaneers carry various streaks into the weekend headlined by Josh Litchfield's stretch of eight-straight games collecting a hit as well as hits in each of the first three games as a Buccaneer from Dante Blakeney.
- Litchfield had and on-base streak of at 10 games last season and has been on base as well as collected a hit in each of CSU's three games thus far.
- Ryan Stoudemire has been a hit-machine through four games as he's collected a hit in all four contests and has driven-in a team-best 5 RBI's. His three-hit night at CofC made him the third Buccaneer with a three-hit performance and second with at least three RBI in a single game.